Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 10-30-2005, 03:08 AM

Default Re: 30-60 River Decision

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The 2+2 responses have been "call the river", "call the river" and "go to the small stakes forum."

Nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooh, you're not gonna like this one bit: Call the river.

Whatever reasons you give for your call on the turn (ie, "It was just a bad call"), what the call shows is that even you don't really have faith in this read you say you have. If your read isn't strong enough to fold the turn, it sure isn't strong enough to fold the river when the pot is two bets bigger and the board cards haven't gotten any uglier. Therefore, call the river.

I don't see folding the river without a super read. If you had a super read, you wouldn't have evev seen the river. Ergo, you don't have a super read. QED, E. Pluribus Unum, Vox Populi, 10-4, over and out. Call the river.

SpaceAce

[/ QUOTE ]

The dark side of this thread.........he did have a "super-read" and did not act on it. That is what is so much more fullfilling about live play: Studying your player while not in a hand, getting inside their heads, picking up their betting patterns and the level of aggressiveness, maybe a tell or two, and then: Saving bets based upon the information you gained from your hard work. That is what live poker is all about.

When I go home from a six hour session, having saved a few BB's by not making calls, or earned a few extra by playing a player just right, well, that puts as big a smile on my face as my overall win.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
........ the live play donk is much more honest than the online donk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally! Of course it is, as the player isn't sitting at his computer saying: "Take this, punk...Oh, you called?! Well here's another barrel, can you handle that? Ok, then, watch me punch you again on the River!"

HUGE difference playing poker at a table in front of 9 other players.......REAL HUGE.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
EP called...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just curious with this a bit. Did EP drop out on the flop or the turn?

Also, I'm curious why no one is advocating a turn raise here. The 5 was a beautiful card for your hand.

You mentioned AT being a strong possibility. AT doesn't make sense as SB would probably 3-bet the flop being an aggressive player.

[ QUOTE ]
Once I called the turn, and he bet the river, I was 90% sure he had AT (the only hand he could have, really) but just could not lay it down. Calling the river, to me, was a clear mistake

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
When he bet the turn, I'm very sure he has AT.

[/ QUOTE ]

However, it is your read. If we go with that and you were *that* sure he had AT, then it's much, much better to fold the turn than it is to call the turn and fold the river.

As it plays out, you must call the river. Not only do you have a very strong hand that I think you didn't play strongly enough. If you fold the river, you're setting yourself up to get run over in the future.

Garland

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this was a case of the: "I can't laydown a monster holding, even though I have a perfect read" syndrome.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I call the river just because you don't want other players to start doing tricky plays against you on the river thinking you can fold a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the problem: He can't fold a hand. And, folding a hand when you have a great read; if it leads others to believe you're capable of folding and they start playing back at you, well, that's great! An added bonus.

[ QUOTE ]
It's just asking them to play better against you and try and bluff you out of hands since they know you can lay down a good hand. And I wouldn't have said anything to him, its not a hand reading contest its a poker game, don't let your oppoenent's know anything they don't have to.

[/ QUOTE ]

We want the players to come after us, and your other comment is so correct.....I hope the OP understands the gravity behind it.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do not play 30/60 online. You will lose a lot of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

The original post has absolutely nothing to do with on-line play.
The difference between playing on-line and live, is the same as a pilot handling an emergency in a simulator (on-line) or under live conditions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poor anology

Pilot in simulator = no passengers (not real, anyway)
Pilot in air = real passengers

Whereas
Online poker = real money
Live poker = real money too
Old 10-30-2005, 04:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
After the hand I conducted an instant verbal poll of the table and four respondants said basically "you have to call." No one said a fold was correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it ridiculous that you would do this. Wtf are you conducting table polls for in order to figure out the best decision?
Old 10-30-2005, 10:14 AM

Moderater, for the love of God, please lock this thread.

Sparks
Old 10-30-2005, 10:20 AM

Why should the thread be locked? And why would you want to poll the table and give an indication that you consider making big laydowns few of them ever would? Good way to have them work in extra bets against you later.

Jeff
Old 10-30-2005, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do not play 30/60 online. You will lose a lot of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

The original post has absolutely nothing to do with on-line play.
The difference between playing on-line and live, is the same as a pilot handling an emergency in a simulator (on-line) or under live conditions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poor anology

Pilot in simulator = no passengers (not real, anyway)
Pilot in air = real passengers

Whereas
Online poker = real money
Live poker = real money too

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. But the pilot is in the simulator for recertification so that he can keep his commercial rating and make 80K a year flying for whomever.