Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 10-22-2005, 10:48 PM

Default BB special from PR 50K

About 450 left of 900. I am in top 80 I believe. Half way through 2nd hour. BB was agro in rebuy period, but has not shown any desire to get involved after ending the 1st hour in top 10 in chips. Seat 1 is fairly new, no read either way. I am SB. BB and I have played a few pots in the rebuy, I was caught pushing draws twice against him, so if he doesnt notice my shift after the break, he may think I am an aggro idiot, which very well may be true.

Seat 1: ($9,620 in chips)
Seat 2: ($8,209 in chips)
Seat 3: ($4,440 in chips)
Seat 4: ($4,100 in chips)
Seat 5: ($1,180 in chips)
Seat 6: ($4,137 in chips)
Seat 7: quinnmob1 [3H,7S] ($10,041 in chips)
Seat 8: ($11,305 in chips)
Seat 9: ($1,800 in chips)
Seat 10: ($2,385 in chips)

ANTES/BLINDS
quinnmob1 posts blind ($100), s8. posts blind ($200).

PRE-FLOP
folds, folds, s1 calls $200, quinnmob1 calls $100, BB checks.

FLOP [board cards QS,3C,7H ]

Jackpot!!!
I am hoping like hell that the EP limp was AA, or someone hit the Queen. No draws on board, I decide to check, with the plan of either going for a C/R now, or leading the turn.

quinnmob1 checks, BB bets $400, s1 calls $400

quinnmob1 bets $900

I think the BB most likely hit the board, could be any pair though. s1, I now think a mid-Ace suited (giving him 2 OCs, or a middle pair is pretty likely. Very well could just be taking a card off here, hoping to hit. I decide to put in a small raise. I dont really expect the BB to call without a Q, but think s1 very well put in the reflex call now, when he would probably shut down the turn unimproved.

BB calls $500, s1 bets $2,000

hmmmmmm......
Well, very unsure of BB, but I think he is very capable of laying down 2P here, given his actions for the past 40 minutes. s1??

AQ, KQ? maybe, we all know how reckless players get with top pair.

AA-KK? interesting, definitely fit the line

Set? also fits

So, I am either up against a stubborn Queen, an overpair or a set.

What is your plan for the rest of the hand?
Can we get away from 2 pair here?
Old 10-22-2005, 10:55 PM

Default Re: BB special from PR 50K

Thats technically not a bb special since you are in the sb. I don't know the buyin either, if its a low buy in, I wouldn't be suprised to see seat 1 just trying to steal a pot with air occasionally, but the higher the buyin, the more likely you are beat. Low 2 pair is a hand that can very easily be counterfieted, and I think I could get away from this raise.

You should have never called in the sb with that hand though, so fold preflop.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thats technically not a bb special since you are in the sb. I don't know the buyin either, if its a low buy in, I wouldn't be suprised to see seat 1 just trying to steal a pot with air occasionally, but the higher the buyin, the more likely you are beat. Low 2 pair is a hand that can very easily be counterfieted, and I think I could get away from this raise.

You should have never called in the sb with that hand though, so fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a 30$ rebuy, so buy in was somewhere in the 30-150$ range for most people.

Here is my problem with just a simple 'high buy-in...fold' analysis.

1.) you are assuming that as the buy-in goes up, the skill level goes up.

-So, you assume a higher skill level, you are taking hands like Q7, out of the open limp from EP playbook.

So the 'better' you assume a player is, the smaller the range of hands that he could realistically have that beat me is as well.

Do you think that a 'good' (which often just means pretty tight) player would think that AQ is good here? KK? AA?

If you arent playing bottom 2 pair pretty strong, you are just playing too passive, IMO.

As for the call 5-1 on a call, with a real chance that EP is trying to trap with a monster and everyone around 50xBB, I will call with absolutely any 2 cards there. I actually want to be up against Aces or Kings before the hand starts. I am not putting in another Dime without 2 pair or better. I may have an opponent who is willing to dump quite a few chips with an overpair, TPTK, etc. I plan to lose 100 chips 90% of the time, but win more than 1000 when I hit.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:57 PM

Default SB special from PR 50K

Bump.....
Old 10-24-2005, 06:47 PM

I can't get away here.

That bet looks exactly like S! limped a big pair, just hope its not QQ.

Having a 3 and 7 greatly reduces the chances of those sets being out, but it happens.

I can see AA,KK,AQ, KQ, even JJ playing the same way.

I get aggro here as my hand is less likely to improve compared to his is we have him on a Q or overpair.

Get it in now while he's interested and you are probably ahead.

Especially since you are OOP, I start with a repop to $5K to go, then I only have 1 raise left.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 10-24-2005, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't get away here.

That bet looks exactly like S! limped a big pair, just hope its not QQ.

Having a 3 and 7 greatly reduces the chances of those sets being out, but it happens.

I can see AA,KK,AQ, KQ, even JJ playing the same way.

I get aggro here as my hand is less likely to improve compared to his is we have him on a Q or overpair.

Get it in now while he's interested and you are probably ahead.

Especially since you are OOP, I start with a repop to $5K to go, then I only have 1 raise left.

Regards,
Woodguy

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the second the flop came down, I really had no intention of folding unless the action led to me reraising, the BB pushing, and EP calling. I had no info on EP, so an OP or even strange KQ-AQ looked most likely to me. I was going to interpret the BBs actions to be directly related to his hand strength, so a push after my CR, EP's reraise, and my 2nd raise, I would have given him credit. My stack would have still been at 5K, which was very playable. EP wasnt getting me out of the hand on his own.

I reraised to 5K, BB folds, EP pushes.