Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 12:09 AM

Default 5/10: Turn play with big draws

BB is a complete idiot. Limps anything, will call down with bottom pair on an AKJ board, etc. I mean, he's really, really bad. He donks anything from complete air to a pair. He doesn't c/r much, I only saw him do it once with a flush draw.

SB is also an idiot, but to a lesser degree. Loose, passive.

No read on UTG.

I just moved up to 5/10, so I want to make sure my head is on straight. Here, I figured that I have a ton of outs, almost all to the nuts, and I'd rather get BB and UTG to put two in than get one from a SB overcall.

PokerStars 5/10 Hold'em (5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (6 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>...
Old 10-22-2005, 10:30 AM

Default Re: 5/10: Turn play with big draws

Bump for the day crew.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:01 AM

I'd just call I think, you are never folding a better hand. Also you are still able to collect 1-2 bets on the river from both the BB and UTG when you hit. SB isn't a problem either since your draws are pretty strong.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:04 AM

i think this is borderline. we've got like 18 outs so we have our share of equity but unless you expect SB to call 2 i dont think it's enough since we dont have much SD value against 2 people right now. if we miss are you following up on the river? would a better play be to let everyone come along since we're drawing and raise the river when bet into if hit? that way we get our $ when we're ahead unlike now.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:13 AM

I am not sure what the turn raise would accomplish other then maybe a free sd. I think that it might cost you a BB if you hit and lose an extra one if you miss.

I would raise the flop and then depending who is left check or bet the turn.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:18 AM

I agree with raising the flop, but as you played it, just calling the turn.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:28 AM

flop is a pretty easy raise... the turn, just calling is uauslly better... that J means most semibluff/drawing hands now have something, so showing down Ahigh is pretty worthless... since you act last, you would certainly prefer the first guy bet if you make the nuts, so why are raising and taking the lead?
BTW/certainly do not bet the river if you miss and are checked to... obviously not worth it.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:32 AM

Raise the flop. You have plenty of equity there, and you aren't always going to turn an OESD to go with your flush draw. You may get a free card on the turn, you may get to cap the flop 4-ways, you may fold AJ or any other jack, etc. So many great things can happen to you when you raise the flop, it's very standard. What was your plan when just calling?

edit: I prefer flawless_victory's river advice, but I'm leaving mine in in case it sparks some discussion.
As you played it I lean towards liking it so that you can take a free showdown UI (or if you pair nines), and bet again when you hit. Simply calling is fine too, but raising gives you more options on the river when the action could freeze if a scare card falls.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:38 AM

You mixed up your flop and turn plays.

Adam
Old 10-22-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You mixed up your flop and turn plays.

Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly.

You definitely have to hit the river in order to win this pot, and your odds of hitting the river are not nearly good enough to be betting and raising the turn.