Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-17-2005, 10:40 AM

Default OT: Thinking out of the box and about players and situations

First off let me say that I am not expert only been playing for 8 months but I am a winning player. Second like all of you I read extensively before embarking on this thing we love called poker.

I use to be an ABC player until two months ago and the procedeed to win the 40k guaranteed in party. what happened you ask? Well one day during a sng it just clicked just like that. Although Harrington told me not to play certain hands with an M of X I did. To see just what would happen. I did I won. Harrington told me to stop bluffing after the continuation bet on the flop gets called but I bluffed again and again anyway. What happened? I won.

Now why did this happen? How could Harrington be wrong? Well see what happened to me and to most here as I read posts on this forum and others is that we read something use ICM to prove its validity and get stuck doing the same play over and over.

Poker is not an exact science. Poker is about creativity and situations. At its purest form poker is not about your cards anymore. Its about situations and reads. So you have 92o on the BB and the button raises for the 5th consecutive time. Fold right??? Not if you have a stack comparable to him. Raise him all in and watch him fold.

You have 43s utg and you raise to increase your Shania(those who don't know what I am talking about do a search). You get a late position caller. Q109 on board. What do you do? Easy check/fold right? Nope you call on the flop and take it away from him on the river because you read him correctly and saw his bets didn't make sense for the hand he was trying to represent.

People always wonder why is it that the same people always win. They must always get good cards right??? The truth is that winning players act on situations that are plus ev while the rest don't because they "read it in a book" or "calculated it to be wrong with some computer program"

Flame away.