Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Trip Report - I wrecked my car yesterday

[ QUOTE ]
I live by the Tech Center and I had to dig my car out.

[/ QUOTE ]
You live in the Tech Center and work Downtown? Why not take the light rail? Or are you not really that close to a station?
Old 10-11-2005, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've had one of these threads in the past. Glad you made it out safe. Makes me consider getting snow tires for my Civic.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're really cheap just get them for the front wheels.

-SmileyEH
Old 10-11-2005, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'm definitely one of them. I'd say the lady stopped on the freeway would also be to blame but like I said later on in my post I should have been going slower. Tell you what though, I drove VERY carefully this morning, heh.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree, just like you were going too fast she was probably going too slow.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:55 PM

Sorry to hear about that. A wreck that everyone walks away from ain't that bad. Cars can be replaced.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:55 PM

Wow that sucks. Glad nobody got seriously hurt. It was stupid of that lady to be going so slow. Even when the road starts to get slick you should still be able to go at least 40mph. So it could have been avoided if you were going 50 and she was going 40. I'm thinking its more her fault than yours. But it also sounds like you spaced out at exactly the wrong time.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've had one of these threads in the past. Glad you made it out safe. Makes me consider getting snow tires for my Civic.

[/ QUOTE ]

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never heard this advice before. Isn't that dangerous? I can imagine the front tires sticking and the rear tires slipping after a moderate turn, resulting in an easy spinout, which are not fun at all...
Old 10-11-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never heard this advice before. Isn't that dangerous? I can imagine the front tires sticking and the rear tires slipping after a moderate turn, resulting in an easy spinout, which are not fun at all...

[/ QUOTE ]

If you only have two snow tires/chains it's better for them to be on the driving wheels. Of course it's even better to have snow tires on all four wheels, but front only sure beats nothing.

Swede
Old 10-11-2005, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I live by the Tech Center and I had to dig my car out.

[/ QUOTE ]
You live in the Tech Center and work Downtown? Why not take the light rail? Or are you not really that close to a station?

[/ QUOTE ]

I never really looked into it. I get free covered parking downtown and I like to have my car in case I have an emergency or errands to run. The commute is not that bad, it only takes me about 30 minutes to get downtown. Also the light rail is always so crowded.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In FWD cars everything happens on the front tires. There's less weight on the back ones, and a spin out won't really happen unless you're really going too fast or don't know to give it gas when turning etc. Obviously all 4 tires is best, but the front 2 is going to be giving you like 80% of the safety.

-SmileyEH
Old 10-11-2005, 01:16 PM

It's refreshing to hear someone's story about their car wreck who's: 1. Safe; 2. Willing to not only see their possible part, but openly admit it. nh

In my limited experience, junk yards aren't going to give you anywhere near what the parts are worth. The problem with parting it out yourself is the time it'll take.

If you have the time, you could visit small body shops/mechanics in your area. Take pictures of what's left and leave them, along with the mileage info, etc. They'll be able to tell what's salvageable and just might have a need come up. They'll probably low-ball you, but you can always haggle a little.

g/l