Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 09-25-2005, 08:53 PM

Default Another Question For Protestants

Choose one of the leaders of the Reformation, in this case I am going to use Calvin, but you can choose any of them you wish, and then put him alongside Thomas Aquinas, who though living several hundred years earlier nonetheless in his writings put forth definitive explanations of catholic doctrine. These two then, Aquinas and Calvin, arrive before God to be judged after their deaths. In your opinion, which of the two outcomes below is most likely? (Note that I am not referring to their eternal judgement but to a judgement on their christian teachings.)

A. God said to one of them "well done good and faithful servant", while saying to the other, "you fool!".

B. God said to both of them, "well done although you both were partly wrong and thus lead some astray in matters of sound doctrine".

If you choose B then also answer the following question: if they were both only partly right then how can that not partially render God's word void, which scripture says cannot happen, if his full divinely revealed truth is not found somewhere 100% correct and entire since it was obviously so during the ministry of Christ? Notice that I am only referring to that truth which has been revealed and not to such as may not have been.

P.S. for kidluckee et.al., I know you think they were both fools but this is a question for protestants.

Bonus Question: Could OT figures and prophets such as Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Elijah etc. have been saved, and if so by what means since they never could have accepted the gospel before their deaths? Keep in mind what the NT says regarding the possibility of faithfully keeping the old law.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:39 PM

Default Re: Another Question For Protestants

[ QUOTE ]
A. God said to one of them "well done good and faithful servant", while saying to the other, "you fool!".

[/ QUOTE ]

This is clearly the case for Calvin. As a caveat, I speculate that the Lord would follow up the "You Fool!" with "I haven't predestined anyone!"
Old 09-25-2005, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Choose one of the leaders of the Reformation, in this case I am going to use Calvin, but you can choose any of them you wish, and then put him alongside Thomas Aquinas, who though living several hundred years earlier nonetheless in his writings put forth definitive explanations of catholic doctrine. These two then, Aquinas and Calvin, arrive before God to be judged after their deaths. In your opinion, which of the two outcomes below is most likely? (Note that I am not referring to their eternal judgement but to a judgement on their christian teachings.)

B. God said to both of them, "well done although you both were partly wrong and thus lead some astray in matters of sound doctrine".

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll go with B. This would fit exactly with Paul's analogy in 1 Corinthians 3 about the building. Concerning the teachings of Paul and Apollos and any teacher (Aquinas, Calvin...) he has this to say:

[ QUOTE ]
(1Co 3:9 ESV) For we are God's fellow workers. You are God's field, God's building.

(1Co 3:10 ESV) According to the grace of God given to me, like a skilled master builder I laid a foundation, and someone else is building upon it. Let each one take care how he builds upon it.

(1Co 3:11 ESV) For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

(1Co 3:12 ESV) Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw --

(1Co 3:13 ESV) each one's work will become manifest, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done.

(1Co 3:14 ESV) If the work that anyone has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward.

(1Co 3:15 ESV) If anyone's work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

If you choose B then also answer the following question: if they were both only partly right then how can that not partially render God's word void, which scripture says cannot happen,

[/ QUOTE ]

Where they were wrong, what they said was not the word of God. If I screw up God's message, it does not mean that his message is not true. This seems pretty basic.

[ QUOTE ]

Bonus Question: Could OT figures and prophets such as Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Elijah etc. have been saved, and if so by what means since they never could have accepted the gospel before their deaths? Keep in mind what the NT says regarding the possibility of faithfully keeping the old law.

[/ QUOTE ]

The book of Hebrews answers this one soundly. Chapter 11 explains exactly how those in the Old Testament were saved...namely, the same way anyone today is. They believe God's promise of the messiah. They walked by faith.

I would suggest reading the 11th chapter of Hebrews for your answer. Here are some verses that explain that those saved in the Old Testament are saved the same way we are, by faith:

(Heb 11:17 ESV) By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises was in the act of offering up his only son,

(Heb 11:20 ESV) By faith Isaac invoked future blessings on Jacob and Esau.

(Heb 11:21 ESV) By faith Jacob, when dying, blessed each of the sons of Joseph, bowing in worship over the head of his staff.

Each of these instances has Jesus the messiah as its ultimate object of faith.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:58 AM

"The book of Hebrews answers this one soundly. Chapter 11 explains exactly how those in the Old Testament were saved...namely, the same way anyone today is. They believe God's promise of the messiah. They walked by faith.

I would suggest reading the 11th chapter of Hebrews for your answer. Here are some verses that explain that those saved in the Old Testament are saved the same way we are, by faith:

(Heb 11:17 ESV) By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises was in the act of offering up his only son,

(Heb 11:20 ESV) By faith Isaac invoked future blessings on Jacob and Esau.

(Heb 11:21 ESV) By faith Jacob, when dying, blessed each of the sons of Joseph, bowing in worship over the head of his staff.

Each of these instances has Jesus the messiah as its ultimate object of faith."

Posts like this truly sadden me. Its just sickening how many people go to such detail while talking about dice systems.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

I won't comment any further on this because David said it best.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The irony in your post very amusing.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Posts like this truly sadden me. Its just sickening how many people go to such detail while talking about dice systems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain to me how Christianity is a "dice system".
Old 09-26-2005, 07:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

David didn't say anything. How is that saying it best? Give me a break!
Old 09-26-2005, 08:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I will grant to you that I did not do a very good job of showing how the man Jesus of Nazareth was the object of the faith of those patriarchs. I stated it as a fact and did not provide fact to support the conclusion. So, here goes.

Let's start with Abraham. Gen 15:6 says that Abraham believed God and it was counted to him as righteousness. So God looked at Abraham and declared him righteous because of his faith. It was a forensic declaration made by God. So what was it that Abraham believed?

(Gal 3:16) Now the promises were made to Abraham and to his offspring. It does not say, "And to offsprings," referring to many, but referring to one, "And to your offspring," who is Christ.

So scripture claims that the ultimate object of the faith of Abraham is Christ.

In the same way was the faith of Isaac and Jacob in the promise of God. Isaac and Jacob were Abraham's decendants through whom the promises to Abraham would be fulfilled. They believed God's promise and therefore blessed their sons. The same scripture that gives us the promises of God, claim that the object of the faith of our fathers Abraham, Isaac and Jacob was the seed of Abraham, Christ. You may not buy it but that is scripture's claim.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain to me how Christianity is a "dice system".

[/ QUOTE ]

Since I am a Catholic I don't think it is overall, but some interpretations of it are, especially when they engage in such contortions to try to prove the doctrines of such denominatins are correct when they are contradictory of each other. This is especially the case when by modifying their views to that of another denomination they could avoid much of that.