Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Beating 25NL 6-Max

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Socrates once wrote, I think therefore I am.

[/ QUOTE ]
Pretty sure that was Descartes. Otherwise, nice post.

I'd reccomend limping suited aces only on the cutoff or button behind other limpers. I'd muck QJ-T9s from EP.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was Descartes who said that. There are no known writings of Socrates.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything we know about Socrates and his preachings was written by his pupils, mainly Plato.

[/Philosophy Lesson]
[/Hijack]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm kind of waiting for someone to make a Descartes v. Bacon poker analogy. I could, but I've been drinking. Certinaly with all the college students out there someone must be taking a modern philosophy class.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd muck QJ-T9s from EP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or raise them.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:49 PM

Default Re: post-flop play

Any similar post-flop reply? Would be interested in reading about suggested bet size, continuation bet, and all-in opportunites.

Edit: I liked the original pre-flop guide, thanks.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:00 PM

I don't think suited Aces and small pairs are good raising hands at these stakes, especially for a new player.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think suited Aces and small pairs are good raising hands at these stakes, especially for a new player.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about when you are first to act in CO or Button? These are autoraises for me.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice post.

But don't you think your raising and re-raising standards are a bit too loose for a beginning player? I think having beginners re-raising with 88, even IP against a LAG, could lead to some ugly results.

[/ QUOTE ]

i also think calling raises with AJ and even AQ against tight players can lead to a lot of trouble for beginning players.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have a similar guide for $50 NL 6-max? I'm finding a much tougher go of it there.

[/ QUOTE ]

50 I found to be more loose-aggressive than 25. Continuation bets aren't going to work as well, and you're going to see more players that will throw all their money at you on a bluff than at the 25 level. You need to be more TAG than you would be at 25, preflop and post-flop. The best line sometimes may be to slowplay a aggressive maniac. You'll see more players folding some sort of hand here; but at the same time you'll see the transparent bluffs that you just have to pick off. 50 is definitely much harder than 25. The move of honor and pot-committing work as good at this level. I spent the least amount of time at this level than 25, 100, 200.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bad beats are good.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they stink. That's no way to rear a player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, this was more of a specific address to the guy I was coaching. I guess the better thing to say was that getting your money in when you're the favorite is good no matter what the outcome is.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:02 PM

BTW, I guessed with the Socrates thing. Go Descartes.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any similar post-flop reply? Would be interested in reading about suggested bet size, continuation bet, and all-in opportunites.

Edit: I liked the original pre-flop guide, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Post-flop imo can't be explained like preflop play. I could give some sort of essay about when to utilize aggression to pick up pots and when to get passive to get more value. I just think it may do more harm than good. Preflop play can be really mechanical and profitable, post flop is really a lot more situational. The way I worked with my friend was give him a strict preflop plan so he wouldn't have to worry about it, then focus everything else I did on general poker theory to explain not what he should've done in a post-flop situation but moreso why. Read posted hands because they're really so representative. Post hands and add your thought process, because the thought process imo is all that matters.

That being said I've got some stuff on ways to win without a hand, and the ways to get paid off with a hand, (it's usually betting) and will do it when I send him his.

I hate to name-drop, but if you're new to this forum or poker generally, search the name fimbulwinter and read every single post he has made in this forum. I can't really think of anything better for a learning player to do.