Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 08-13-2005, 04:33 PM

Default \"Nice Hand....\"

So I am playing at the taj this week..all week...20/40 and 15/30 one the regulars there was a NYC semi regular at PS and we became "friendly".
With that we are sitting at 15/30 [I am on his right UTG +2] I raise and he 3 bets..I say "Nice Hand". About 3 hands later he brings it up that it really annoyed him I said this...
Does this offend anyone else? I've seen this/said this before and never got a reaction like that. I come to find out hes stuck 1600 so maybe that had something to do with it.
Opinions?
Old 08-13-2005, 05:30 PM

Default Re: \"Nice Hand....\"

You should have also said that he is a 'solid player' [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2005, 07:07 PM

I dunno, it's kind of obnoxious when people do that I don't really know why. I also don't really know why poeple say that or what they mean.

After the hand is over though, in my experience 80%+ of the time nice hand just really means <font color="black">[censored]</font> you.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:21 PM

If you have AA then I think it's being obnoxious, if you have KTo then I think it's just like any other banter you'd hear at a poker table. Basically just don't do it in an attempt to be a douche (think slowrolling the nuts).
Old 08-13-2005, 08:17 PM

Nothing gets to me more than when 6 people see the flop and a guy with 64s hits a straight flush and wins 5 BB...then gets complimented on his "nice hand." Christ, it was all luck, and he only got 5 bucks out of it! That's what pisses me off the most, when people get congratulated on hitting huge hands that they shouldn't have even been playing in the first place (nevermind playing them poorly).
Old 08-13-2005, 08:26 PM

I type that in when playing online and a total fish cathes a miracle card.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing gets to me more than when 6 people see the flop and a guy with 64s hits a straight flush and wins 5 BB...then gets complimented on his "nice hand." Christ, it was all luck, and he only got 5 bucks out of it! That's what pisses me off the most, when people get congratulated on hitting huge hands that they shouldn't have even been playing in the first place (nevermind playing them poorly).

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does this aggravate you? Assuming you will continue to play this person, it's to your advantage if he is encouraged to keep making this mistake. In fact, it's one of the quickest ways to get your $ back. If someone plays J3o against me and gets lucky, I DEFINITELY hope he plays it next time.

Who knows, if enough people compliment him, maybe he'll adopt J3 as his "lucky" hand!

Plus, the first person to say "nice hand" is also usually the one thinking "wtf was he doing playing that crap?" Which gives you an insight into who at the table might actually know how to play. It's a win-win.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, that really wrecks my whole day. I was going to go to the beach tomorrow but now that you've reminded me of this I'm just going to cut myself instead.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yea, that really wrecks my whole day. I was going to go to the beach tomorrow but now that you've reminded me of this I'm just going to cut myself instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
(sighs...one more poster that is infinitely cooler than me...)
Old 08-13-2005, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In fact, it's one of the quickest ways to get your $ back. If someone plays J3o against me and gets lucky, I DEFINITELY hope he plays it next time.

Who knows, if enough people compliment him, maybe he'll adopt J3 as his "lucky" hand!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes... and more subtly, even if he's smart enough to realize that he just got lucky to hit jacks full of threes, it's reinforcing results oriented thinking. If some bizarre full house is inherently a "nicer" hand than my top pair-good kicker, then it totally adds to what's already a confusing issue, that of not trusting short-term results.

On the other hand, I try to point out when I win by dumb luck. Maybe it was a big blind special, or maybe my KQs turned into kings full by the river or my pocket treys flopped a set then filled up. Either way, I'll just smile and say "lucky hand", because in a sense it absolutely was. I don't want them to think about the fact that my "lucky hands" may drag bigger pots than theirs of the course of a year or a decade, or that I'm not throwing away the money I win in a truly lucky hand by playing junk for the next three hours.