Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2003, 10:30 AM

Default Help....

This really goes against the basics (as I know them). One limper to me in the SB, and I should RAISE with T8s in order to try and get it heads up? I always felt that a medium suited 1-gapper like this likes a lot of company.

I can see how a move like this might win you the pot (bluff value) in a fairly tight game, but otherwise I would almost always fold in this situation.

Please help explain this to me [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]... and thanks...
Old 03-21-2003, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Small Blind Play

I like the fact that you used your observations about your opponents and acted on it. Under the circumstances you described, it doesn’t matter what cards you hold, you can make this play. If you are correct and the BB will fold most of the time, and the button will fold if he doesn’t hit (and against your raise he may fold even if he only pairs his kicker, then this is truly a good play even if you had 72o.

Now you need to re-evaluate your read on the BB. It seems you got the button correct. If you were correct and he just happened to have a good enough hand to call this time, then that’s tough luck. Keep making these plays. You can’t expect to push him off top pair now. Did you showdown your hand? That might make it tougher to make this play in the future. Keep all of these thoughts in your head when the situation comes up again.

Against normal opponents T8s isn’t what I would call a raising hand. I would much rather raise with A4o or 55 here. Those hands might win a shorthanded showdown unimproved, plus they have every chance to improve. In your example I would have just called
Old 03-21-2003, 12:00 PM

Default Re: Help....

Rock Lobster,

This is not a play that you would make against average players. You are right T8s isn’t that great a hand. This is a play you make because the button has shown weakness by limping first in, and there is a presumed tight BB behind you. This play could be made with 72o. You are betting that they will both fold. Your cards for now are irrelevant, although sometimes you get lucky.

You would only make this play if you are very sure of your opponents.
Old 03-21-2003, 01:27 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks to all who took the time to reply and to offer suggestions and mostly words of encouragement.

I've always had problems with hold'em, but I think that may be behind me. I played again last night for about an hour and a half again at 0.5/1 on Paradise, and had a pretty good win to show for it. Most satisfying was having a little confindence in the decisions I was making based on position, my evaluation of my opponents, and finally an understanding of the value of starting hands. Having a post-flop plan based on this information will be the key to my success.

I'm fully convinced that I can learn this game, and I also know that my win last night does not make me a good player.

I will post more hands in the future and maybe someday I will be able to help others with their hand analyses.

Rockfish

Old 03-21-2003, 01:28 PM

Default Thanks David

That makes perfect sense, thanks for taking the time to explain. The feeling that I got from the other posts was that cards (T8s) made this the right play, but it's actually the weak-tight opponents that make this play feasible. Now I get it... [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]