Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 07-31-2005, 11:42 AM

Default Re: James McManus comments re: Tabish/Murphy acquittals

The only reason intelligent people do not commit crimes on mass is because of religious or cultural beliefs. The more Western Civilization collapses and these beliefs fall by the wayside, crimes of opportunity will increase.

"if you actually believed any of that oft-spouted drivel about how juries are worthless and unreasonable and justice is never served, you'd be out committing crimes - if the justice system were actually like that, crime would be very +EV."

Maybe I already am, but of course I will not give a straight answer to protect my +EV [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Let's just say there are certain entities that do not get as much money from me as they expect.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:44 AM

Then I am sure you would have no problem hiring Murphy as a baby sitter for your kids.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then I am sure you would have no problem hiring Murphy as a baby sitter for your kids.

[/ QUOTE ]

That comment shows a complete lack of understanding of the point of criminal trials under the adversarial system. Go back and read my post again.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:29 PM

I understand your point. My point is that the adversarial system of "justice" has nothing to do with justice at all, but is a self propagating mechanism designed to make lawyers lots of money.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand your point. My point is that the adversarial system of "justice" has nothing to do with justice at all, but is a self propagating mechanism designed to make lawyers lots of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, although I disagree - I think that our system strikes pretty much the right balance between protecting individual freedom and keeping a stable, just society; the fact that lawyers make a lot of money is simply a side-effect of the process (albeit an understandable one - after all, if you have a million dollars and want to be kept out of jail, you're not going to hire a $20/hr. lawyer even if you could). It's unfortunate that public defenders aren't the greatest lawyers in the world, but then again it's also unfortunate that the doctors performing government-provided free or low-cost health care aren't the ones who finished at the top of their class - there's just nothing we can do about it. Or to paraphrase Winston Churchill, the adversarial system of justice is the worst system in the world, aside from all the others.