Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 06-19-2005, 02:49 AM

Default GM employee discount

So is this as good a deal as GM is making it out to be? What is the catch?
Old 06-19-2005, 03:21 AM

Default Re: GM employee discount

I too have wondered the same thing. Maybe the catch is simply that Chevys suck. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2005, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So is this as good a deal as GM is making it out to be? What is the catch?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just from taking a quick look, it doesnt appear that it offers a significant savings over what you can get through commonly offered rebates now. But it would take a closer look to determine for sure.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:44 AM

Did you know that GM spends $1500 in healthcare for every vehicle that rolls off the assembly line?

I couldn't find any that I remotely liked, but the SAAB 9-2X's are discounted from 27,000 down to 19,000...one of the biggest discounts of all vehicles...if you like/need a wagon.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:48 AM

If you're gonna get a GM, just get a truck.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you know that GM spends $1500 in healthcare for every vehicle that rolls off the assembly line?

I couldn't find any that I remotely liked, but the SAAB 9-2X's are discounted from 27,000 down to 19,000...one of the biggest discounts of all vehicles...if you like/need a wagon.

[/ QUOTE ]

The question is what does ford/Toyota/Honda/BMW and so on spent on healthcare? Very hard to figure out in the countries with socialized medicine.

The saab is the one car that stands out as a good deal. That car should have some really interesting depreciation numbers.

The one big advantage I see is that you don't have to haggle with the dealer. I don't think the price is much better ( you do save a bit on sales tax since you have to pay sales tax on rebates in most states). You just have to be carefull about them trying to get the money else where in the deal.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:44 PM

It is a good price and is better than you would get negotiating, at least if they are offering GMS prices. Relatives of mine qualify for GMS and it varies on the car, but is often well below invoice. If I understand the promotion correctly, they are offering real GMS prices to the public, and I think the rebate goes tot he customer too. If you are going to get a GM, now is the time if the promotion really is GMS price. I have not looked at the details because I'm not shopping now.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:18 PM

I get the GMS discount and the catch is that the dealer will try to fook you on your trade-in to make up the difference.

When you pay GMS the dealer basically makes $300-500 for handling the sale and whatever they can clear on your trade-in.

Typically you get rebates on top of the GMS price as GM re-imburses the dealer those incentives.

It is a good deal, but make sure you get kelly trade-in and resale values for your trade, as well as NADA values. I also shop at used car places in the area and find a couple of my trade-in and get what they are selling for.

So when the dealer tells me he is giving me $3000 below blue book I'll tell him to f off because Joe's used autos is resaleing my car for $3000 over blue book. Using this method I typically get the GMS price and blue book trade value.

NEVER NEGOTIATE A DEAL WITH PAYMENTS. People get screwed out of thousands of dollars by dealers using payment figures to negotiate deals. Make sure you get a cut sheet of:

1. Retail Price
2. Negotiated Price or GMS Price
3. Trade-in Allowance
4. Net amoung you are financing
5. Interest rate and fees

5 is very important alot of dealers will try and sneak in a percantage rate that is higher than what you can qualify for.

Sorry to ramble - but it bugs mne to see people paying way way too much for cars.

Orange
Old 06-19-2005, 05:11 PM

I would guess that GM intends on closing some facilities or changing directions with production and has excess inventory it is looking to unload. If they just reduced prices, they would also have to reduce the employee discount, which a lot of employees and their relatives take advantage of. Don't want to piss off the dealers.