Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 11:05 AM

Default PP 15/30 hand vs solid 2er

Villain in the hand is a 2er 17/11/2.2 and he is the BB.

I am UTG+2 and am dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

2 limpers and I raise, MP2 CCs, SB calls and BB calls

6 see the flop 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and its checked thru. Anyone bet here with it being contested 6 ways?

Turn is the Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] SB bets and villain raises, UTG folds, UTG +1 CC and its on me.

What is your action and why? Results later.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:10 AM

Default Re: PP 15/30 hand vs solid 2er

This is a tough spot, I'd have to do some pokerstove math I think.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:19 AM

There are many hands BB would call with here and raise the turn that you beat. Since it was multiway, he could have QK, QJ, Q10, AQ, Q9 (some of these only suited obviously). Of course he could also have an 8. Then you have to worry about the rest of the field. If they are idiots, it's very likely an 8 is out and also, many players would never bet/raise an 8 on the flop here. I don't like your position here with the others behind you and the poss. you're beaten. I think fold, but it's CLOSE. I really wouldn't blame you for raising and folding to a 4-bet. Just some stuff to think about.

P.S. Checking the flop is right.

Jeff
Old 05-02-2005, 11:53 AM

I dont think checking the flop is correct. By raising, you are represnting a big hand. Had you had QQ that would have been a favorable flop for you, and checking to allow AJ a free draw to beat you would have been a bad play. Also, with a loose game, you will get calls by 77, AJ etc, in which the queen could make you the best hand. Lastly, the bet on the flop will allow you to check the turn for free assuming no one improves on the turn. While it is possible that someone has an 8, to see the flop 6 ways, it is possible that this loose bunch will all be playing catchup once your queen hits. At least you wont have to fold to 2 bets on the turn. You will reamin in control of the hand.

I would fold to your situation, but I think you gave yourslef very little way to win the hand no matter what came on the turn.

SB
Old 05-02-2005, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone bet here with it being contested 6 ways?

[/ QUOTE ]

*raises hand*

I'm a big fan of purifying the flop in situations like this.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

*raises hand*

I'm a big fan of purifying the flop in situations like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I think betting this flop is probably a small winner.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:13 PM

I'd definately bet the flop. One of the main benefits being that it prevents this situation from occurring on the turn. You can dump your hand right on the flop is it's 2 bets back to you, or a single raise and a cold-caller or 2, and can proceed with extreme caution if you get several flat-calls. The bb can have a huge number of hands that you beat here. If he's real solid, I don't know if he'd necessarily confront the field with 2-cold with an 8 here considering that a lot of hands may call 1 bet drawing practically dead, but there's at least a decent chance he would raise the underfull hoping to get excessive action from an 8.

Definately a real tough spot not closing the action.

It's close enough, IMO, that it all boils down to to what extent the sb's the type of player to donkishly fire into the field after the flop gets checked round with a huge range of hands, and the likelihood the 2 players behind you would cold-call with a hand that contains an 8. If the sb would auto bet this spot, the bb can very well just have a 5, or any pocket pair, in addition to a worse Q since the players behind him will hard pressed to call 2 cold on this board even with many hands that have him beat.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
*raises hand*

[/ QUOTE ]

Got a chuckle out of that. Funny.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:35 PM

Default RESULTS

I called him down. I felt I was either way ahead with a bigger Q, or way behind if he had an 8. So I didn't think raising was the play. Villain showed 87o and his trips were good.

I was surprised by how many people liked betting this flop with 6 way action. Do you like villains raise on the turn forcing the field into calling two cold?
Old 05-02-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

the second heart probably make him pissed he didn't bet the flop and wasnt going to give two cheap cards to the backdoor flush. I think it is good raise to make flush draws pay big.