Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2005, 09:29 PM

Default Magic: The Gathering

Anyone on this site play? any serious tourney players here?

I have to say Magic is probably one of the best card games out there. Every new set brings new strategies and new concepts. It seems to me like a lot of ppl 'graduated' from magic to play poker, myself included. A couple of the top 20 players in 2004 WSOP were former magic players. Will poker see more and more players come up the ranks?

For me I stopped playing serious tourneys because the rake is rediculous compared to poker. Its more of a casual game for me now, but I still love playing at FNM with my friends.

So here it is, the official MTG thread!
Old 04-24-2005, 11:36 PM

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering

There was way too much cheating in Magic. Even when someone was caught cheating, they were insufficiently sanctioned. Tournaments were filled with little kids who would gladly steal your cards if given the slightest chance. Even if these weren't problems, there wasn't nearly enough money to be made to justify playing Magic rather than poker.

Also, Magic ruined the gaming in my area. Nobody was playing any of the good board games anymore. It was just all Magic all the time.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:58 PM

I got bored with it because of this new metal age (that just got banned recently). I had lots of fun with it even while playing poker, up until the printed whatever the hell set it was that brought out the ravager decks so prominantely.
Er, let me correct that a bit, i was still having fun until they took my skull clamp away. Mind you, I was playing elves, not the affinity decks utilizing the clamp.

So, i stopped playing for the most part.
I'll still play a FNM once in a while, but Mainly I go to all of the pre-releaseas because i'm such a goober for them. I also will continue to go to Regionals and States until the dead walk the earth. I use them both as vacation excuses and a chance to hang out with friends that I don't see as much because I stopped playing the game.
Plus, for regionals we travel 5 or so hours, stay at a hotel, eat lots of pizza and playtest for the next day. Then we pay money, get our asses handed to us in fashions we never expected, and then drive back home while stoping at John Wildwoods pizza for the best damn pizza in the world.
Enough typing.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:29 AM

Yes, there are lots of MTGers or former ones on here. A certain poster in high-stakes may have a card with his picture on it.

I don't play anymore, but all of my current friends I met through magic and now we all play poker.

Yes, the rake in magic is rediculous. I haven't played in a tournament in a while, but I used to go to many PTQ's every year. Funny you should mention it, as I will probably go to my first tournament in months at an FNM this Friday to antagonize some surly people and help scoop a friend into q'ing on rating into nats. (not that he couldn't beat the FNM field anyway)

-Craig
Old 04-25-2005, 03:38 AM

I still play MODO for fun, dont play much irl anymore as i dont play enough to stay at the top of my game. Used to PTQ/GPT/PT alot, more money in poker so i just play casually now. If you modo u should look me up in the hall of champs, StudMuffins the name, rolling over downies' the game. Im the GG,

Peace
Old 04-25-2005, 03:42 AM

If you were so good, you wouldn't have had to call me, begging for me to play for you.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:47 AM

Sounds to me like StacysMom = New001's barn.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:50 AM

Begging? hahahahhahahah.... Ur my barn, i needed u to finish the tourney. SO i offered u the opportunity to do so.

And, Where is ur name in the hall of champs?

Thanx B!
Old 04-25-2005, 04:15 AM

Well, where I am from, most people play only Type 1 so needless to say, I am pretty good at it. I have won 3 black lotus tourneys, where the rake was HUGE. My T1 rating is 1948, like it matters all that much. It is kinda cool to be #28 in the world at something that doesnt matter at all. I have won 3 PTQs but I didnt go to any of them, as they were all overseas.
I dont play much anymore except for black lotus tourneys and big events that come close to town. I am planning on going to regionals in Atlanta although I dont know if I will play monoU or T&N. Both of them are damn good.
I think it is cool that basically a few of my MtG friends got me into poker playing for $10 buyins and then I surpassed them all. I feel kinda bad when they ask me over to play at their house for $10 buyin games and I say no because I am going to sit at home in front of the computer and play $215 sngs. Oh well. If any of you are going to be at regionals in ATL, Let me know. We can hook up and play come cards.

Jcardshark
Old 04-25-2005, 05:10 AM

I used to play, and I think I was pretty good. I made nationals once (through a grinder), and even popularised a netdeck (U/W Urza's Block control). It was fun, but it just got way too expensive and time consuming. To be good you have to dedicate a great deal of time and thought to it - I eventually decided I'd rather have a girlfriend. Of course now I play poker. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]