Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2005, 09:32 PM

Default Mosdef trying limit - take a look

I'm giving party 1-2 a spin. i'm a regular no-limit sit-n-go player, need a break after a losing streak.

Since i know zip re:limit, i've been playing some simple, robotic poker trying to get a feel for it. (simple, robotic = former sit-n-go player). here's my patented mosdef formula.

-play any two cards 10 and up, raising them all preflop, dropping some of them when UTG, UTG+1, or UTG+2.
-also playing all PP preflop, looking for set or undercards on the flop, raising high PPs or low PPs with late position
-basically betting any top pair flop, or flop with all undercards, and flush draws.
-hammering away turn and river if i think i'm ahead, and calling down when i'm scared but if the pot is huge.

how's this for a loose guideline? anyone see any massive mistakes that the seasoned limit player would laugh at?

scotty
Old 03-16-2005, 09:36 PM

Default Re: Mosdef trying limit - take a look

First, I'm a huge mosdef fan!

Second, this shoule go in the micro forum.

Third:
[ QUOTE ]
-play any two cards 10 and up, raising them all preflop, dropping some of them when UTG, UTG+1, or UTG+2.
-also playing all PP preflop, looking for set or undercards on the flop, raising high PPs or low PPs with late position
-basically betting any top pair flop, or flop with all undercards, and flush draws.
-hammering away turn and river if i think i'm ahead, and calling down when i'm scared but if the pot is huge.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not nearly nuanced enough. Study some hands on this forum and micro. Welcome to the boards Black Dante.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:40 PM

micro forum dude.
check the micro faq, it has a link to a starting hand guide thread.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:45 PM

oops, i didn't notice the micro under small.

by the way, i appreciate (some) of the additional nuances. this is just a rough starting point. for example, with a bunch of limpers i would also call (maybe raise) in late position with suited connectors, setting myself up for the monster haul!

later guys - i'll be back in a month when i've mastered limit and moved up to "small".

it's so sad that i have to move "up" to small-limit. so much shame...
Old 03-16-2005, 09:48 PM

Try .50/1. It's way easier than 1/2, and a very good place to learn the ropes. There are many posters who will tell you that 1/2 is even harder than 2/4, especially if you are playing the 6-max tables. The point: if you're new to limit, and wouldnt be comfortable at 2/4, then you should start at .50/1.00, not 1/2.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:51 PM

Thanks, penguin. maybe i'll try that.

I can handle the downswings anyway. i have a day job.