Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 08-30-2004, 10:14 PM

Default Was this too loose an all-in vs. a big stack?

The villain in this hand is a large stack who has been throwing his weight around. he has been raising people off hands, or so it appeared, since building a large stack early on, but has not shown down too many hands. In this particular hand in the heat of battle I felt sure I made the right play.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed)

UTG (t775)
MP (t3805)
Hero (t2585)
SB (t1215)
BB (t6950)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, MP calls t100, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t400</font>, SB folds, BB calls t300, MP folds.

Flop: (t950) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets t1100</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t2185</font>, BB calls t1085.

Turn: (t5320) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

River: (t5320) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t5320

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows 3s Js (flush, king high).
Hero shows 9d 9s (two pair, kings and nines).
Outcome: BB wins t5320. </font>
Old 08-30-2004, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Was this too loose an all-in vs. a big stack?

On the bubble (at Party) with two short stacks, I think I can safely fold here.

Also, if BB is calling a raise with any 2, I would limp 99 PF, especially after a limper, and then think about reraising all in if he does raise.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:13 AM

Well hmmmmm... I doubt he puts out that large a bet w/ a K on the flop unless he's a thinking player and knows you've been paying attention to how agressive he's been etc. I don't care I push here too I wanna win it. The only real thing that worries me is that I really doubt that the BB will fold to your raise. Will he really fold for 1k more after putting a 1k bet in himself?????? I don't think the avg. party poker player would, but I could be wrong. If you really don't think he'll fold then I might just toss this as if he doesn't have a K its likely that he has a spade or a straight draw w/ overcards leaving him w/ quite a few outs. I dont know... tuffy.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:22 AM

looks good to me. 2 out of 3 times you double up.

-SmileyEH
Old 08-31-2004, 02:33 AM

By saying "2 out of 3 times you double up" I'm assuming you assumed what I thought which was that his opp. has a flush draw. That being the case if you KNOW your opp has a flush draw here do you still push?
Old 08-31-2004, 02:38 AM

If the BB isn't just a complete jackass he'll more than likely have overcards to go along w/ his flush draw, and he isn't going to fold to heros all in. I'm not 100% sure that this is an all in move.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:26 AM

Id push too... Im not saying its right, but I would push here. BB might make this move with an 8 or a K(less likely). I suck it up and try to deal with it if he has the K.

now looking at the results I think BB made a terrible play. Id prefer checkraise all in if I am in his place, or try to keep it cheaper. Once he made that bet he had to call your all in, and he got lucky.