Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 12-26-2005, 05:33 PM

Default Just got a VOIP phone -- how the hell does it work?

So i bought a generic-brand VOIP phone that has a USB chord extension because it seemed like a cool product that the website said was compatible with Vonage service.

Only problem is I have no idea how this thing is supposed to work with my vonage service. Where do i plug it in? The router that Vonage sent me doesn't have any USB input jacks, only RJ-11 (ethernet) and a standard telephone jack.

So I called up Vonage tech support and they informed me lo and behold that USB phones aren't compatible with Vonage service, even though the phone's manufacturer said it was supposed to be. But the Vonage tech support guy was indian and didn't sound like he really knew what he was talking about, so I'm not sure he gave me correct info.

Anyone want to help a brother out?
Old 12-26-2005, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Just got a VOIP phone -- how the hell does it work?

USB phones are mostly for Skype, which can only be run while the computer is on. I'd *guess* that you can use the USB phones with other softphones (which is what Skype is) like SJPhone, which can then be set up to use the information from Vonage.
With the open VoIP providers, which use SIP, you can buy a seperate ATA (Analogue Telephone Adaptor) to plug into a router *or* a router with one built in (which it sounds like you have).
The advantage to having an ATA is that you don't need any computers to be switched on to make/receive calls (unlike Skype) and can therefore save on the power bill this requires. As long as your service is setup, your router powered and you are connected to the net - your VoIP phone is live.
Ditch the USB phone and just plug a normal analogue one into the router.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:00 AM

You might be able to use it if you buy the Vonage Softphone service... I think it's $10/month extra.

Otherwise, you can't use it.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:14 PM

oh - i did not know that VOnage was different than Vonage "softphone".

That was prob my mistake. The product page says that my USB phone is supposed to work w/ Vonage Softphone...i figured that was just a dif name for Vonage's run of the mill service.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:54 PM

yes-- the Vonage "softphone" is designed so that you can talk (using a USB phone) with just a broadband connection and without the phone adapter...

so-- if you travel and don't want to bring your phone adapter stuff, you can use Vonage through your laptop... of course, they charge you $10/month extra for that convenience.

I have Vonage, and would really like the softphone functionality--- BUT, it doesn't seem worth it to spend the money... so I just bring my phone adapter with me when I travel.