Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-23-2005, 11:51 PM

Default Curtains hand #4 - Cold calling UTG raise with AJ

PartyPoker, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

CO (t1005)
MP2 (t885)
MP1 (t480)
UTG+1 (t900)
UTG (t2300)
BB (t1895)
SB (t735)
Hero (t1800)

Preflop: Hero is in Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="red">UTG raises t90</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, Hero calls t90, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>

Flop: (t225) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">UTG bets t200</font>, <font color="gray">Hero folds</font>

I was gonna skip this one figuring that it's uninteresting to most people. But after going through a bunch of more hands I kept thinking about it, so whatever. This one's for me, batches.

Why even call preflop? He probably has you dominated or an underpair. I'm guessing that you made the call so you could play the hand in position...and then got the worst possible flop to steal on? Just wondering if you were planning to make a move on a more threatening board.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:58 PM

Default Re: Curtains hand #4 - Cold calling UTG raise with AJ

This pf call seems read-dependant to me. Villain is other big stack so Curtains must have some type of read. Curious to hear...
Old 12-24-2005, 12:10 AM

My guess would be that UTG is a LAG donk who got his early chip lead by making a stupid play. Curtains knows UTG is a LAG donk and feels that he can play AJs profitably here.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:15 AM

hes got position, he doesnt mind blinds coming in for the ride, and hes got a hand that will hold up well on a lot of flops

and plus he probably thinks he can get away with value betting / or plain getting away from an Axx flop

also, that flop is just bad in general for hero against UTG's range, so it's an easy fold when he leads for pot
Old 12-24-2005, 01:20 AM

Again, my opponent is terrible. Whenever I make abnormal plays its often because my opponent has exhibited some strange qualities [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]