Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-23-2005, 12:15 AM

Default $22 - Hand from the blind vs small stack

PartyPoker, Big Blind is t100 (4 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t5559)
Hero (t1105)
SB (t320)
Button (t1016)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, SB calls t50, Hero checks

Flop: (t200) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero t1005 (All-in)</font>

Okay I'm sure this hand will look pretty boring. But I want to find the best way to play these kinds of situations. A lot of players would check a hand with a pair just hoping to double up. Those guys would bluff a lot trying to pick up the pot and double their stack. But some wouldn't bet if they had absolutely nothing, thinking I likely call getting 2-1. So he would only check hands with which he has no intention of calling. Thoughts?
Old 12-23-2005, 01:47 AM

Default Re: $22 - Hand from the blind vs small stack

I like your reasoning. It took me a couple reads to follow - but you can never understand me on AIM either...so we're even!!!

(besides, we have a pair and he might not have a club holding a stronger pair - let it rip)

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2005, 01:54 AM

I dunno, I hate when short stacks do stuff like this. I make him put all his money in after the flop though.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:03 AM

I think what you do here partly depends on your read of this particular player. Does he like slow-playing - so is he apt to limp preflop with a decent pair...or just check if he flops a good hand that he intends to call. Many of the 22 players are backwards players - they bet every time they have nothing and check everytime they have a hand. Is he just a calling station who never bets, no matter what he has?

If he always slow plays or is a calling station, i'd be content to check this down. If he's weak and would bet any hand that he intends to call, then bet away. Absent of a read, i'd rather not get involved for that many chips (you can win the pot - which doesn't mean much for your stack, get lucky and have him call and you outdraw him, in which you get a decent addition to your stack, or have him call and you lose, and you are in a much worse situation (since you and him will have the same size stack, much smaller than the other 2). I'd consider checking it down a free chance to win 100 chips, since if someone raised, I wouldn't have seen the flop here.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:12 AM

i think i would do the same. the stack sizes are perfect for this
Old 12-23-2005, 04:00 AM

I don't know what shorty's doing, but your push looks good to me.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:23 PM

if shorty's like any other low level donk, he doesnt realize that if hes gonna push he might as well do it himself with so few chips so at least he has SOME FE even if its nearly zero

he still could push and get a misclick fold
Old 12-23-2005, 02:04 PM

If he was your average low limit donk - I'd push him in pre-flop and half-expect him to fold. Who limps unless as a trap there?

That aside - I'd play it the same.