Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 12:41 AM

Default River action against a TAG...

Villian is a little too loose preflop and was sporadically aggressive preflop. There were a few hands I saw him play that he definitely should have raised preflop, but postflop he keeps the pressure up. Earlier this session he played aggressively in position with 88 on a T52 board; raising the turn after I 3bet the flop with T9o. I called him down. He didn't raise 88 preflop though. Anyhow, on to the hand.

Party Poker 5.00/10.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(6 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3.00 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, SB calls.

Turn: (3.00 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, SB calls.

River: (6.00 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls.

Should I have 3bet this river? Who wants to give a percentage for how often I'm winning this once he caps?
Old 12-19-2005, 12:46 AM

Default Re: River action against a TAG...

The only part I play different is check/raising the flop. River is an easy 3 bet, I don't see how he can have backdoored a flush also since you have all the flopped pair cards that would give him a FD on the turn. Maybe he decided to make a loose flop peel with broadway hearts, but I think more often he's playing something else retarded.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:51 AM

You can affored to give a free card so go for the check raise. I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to build this pot.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:22 AM

Advocates of checkraising flop,

I don't like a flop C/R becase I don't trust CO to bet this flop all the time. A large part of the time he won't have an ace, which means he needs to bet the flop with 2nd/3rd pair or gutshot draws (no flush or OESD possible) into two opponents. And CO is the only one behind me, so I prefer to just bet this flop. If they call they'll be making a fairly large error in a pot this small.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:36 AM

I prefer a c/r on the flop as well. An aggressive player is probably betting this flop against the two blinds pretty much 100% of the time. As far as picking up the pot goes with nothing, flops don't come much better than A59r.

As for the river, the only hands that make some sort of sense that are beating you are something like KhQh/JhTh. Only other hands i can think of are 22-55, 6h7h/7h8h or something like A4 or 34s or 46s etc. Tough to say how he plays all these, but you're ahead well over half the time.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:18 AM

what kind of TAG open-limps? I expect he turned over 98s.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:26 AM

i'd play it the same because i hate bottom 2 pair. This is wrong - it's from my NL days when bottom 2 can f**k you. You can afford to "slowplay" if the flop c/r whiffs, so give it a try.

Turn and river are fine. A flop bet is not criminal, nh.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:31 AM

Calling that cap is a crying call. One I'd make, but that I think I shouldn't. A9, A5-A2, any 4, and hearts all have you toasted man. Middle two looks like crap.

I don't even know if I like the 3-bet. He's done nothing but call and wakes up when a flush and straight hits?
Old 12-19-2005, 07:44 AM

54.39% He doesn't seem to taggy. Open limps from the cut-off. This guy is a bozo. Yeah, you 3-bet this river. Quite easily I could see this guy having 44 here as well as a lot of other garbage. You did fine.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:47 AM

Oh crap missed we have hearts. You 3-bet and of course call a cap.

Buzz, he can't have 9h8h.. OP has the 9h.