Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 10:47 PM

Default Blocking bets with draws OOP

I've been having trouble lately playing my draws oop...I really hate check calling since it's so easy to read, instead I've been putting out blocking bets(~1/3 pot) with my OESD and flush draws on the flop, I'll get called by one LP and then now what when the turn is a brick.

If I don't hit I've been checking the turn, fire again? Would that be best?
Old 12-10-2005, 11:15 PM

Default Re: Blocking bets with draws OOP

Why not make a regular size bet or checkraise on the flop. You may be the favorite with your draw. Try to take it down.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:33 PM

It would be best not to play drawing hands OOP. If I were a villain in your hand I would most certainly be raising most anytime you bet 1/3 the pot. That's a weak probe met and rarely an indication of a big hand. If you're going to make a semi-bluff bet, make a real sized bet or just check and see what happens. And I certainly wouldn't be doing this against multiple opponents OOP.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It would be best not to play drawing hands OOP. If I were a villain in your hand I would most certainly be raising most anytime you bet 1/3 the pot. That's a weak probe met and rarely an indication of a big hand. If you're going to make a semi-bluff bet, make a real sized bet or just check and see what happens. And I certainly wouldn't be doing this against multiple opponents OOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there are usually better ways to play a draw, but making a probe bet may work sometimes. Against one opponent OOP, a probe bet will not always be raised. The opponent may be concerned you are trapping and encouraging him to come over top. He may take it as an opportunity to try to hit his straight or flush draw or over cards.

If your draw is fairly strong, you may not mind check calling a real bet or making a real bet that gets called. As you mentioned, you want to play it in a way that your opponent is not certain you are on a draw.