Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 03:53 AM

Default Re: Hell\'s existence seems incorrect

[ QUOTE ]
You can't bowl tonight. It's Shomer Shabbos.

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought we already established that I'm Muslim?

In any case, I did go bowling. And it was awesome! I rolled a right-handed 124 and a left-handed 76. However, the nitty manager shut down the lanes before the 10th frame of the second game. I know I would have broken 100!
Old 11-20-2005, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

However, there are rare occasions every here and then, sometimes when I'm by myself for a long period of time and alone with my thoughts, when I think "man, what if those Christians are right? What if God and Heaven and Hell are all true and I'm going to be damned for eternity unless I accept?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Strange, I do to, except my thoughts are along the line of "man, what if those Asatru are right, and if I don't die in glorious battle I'll be sent to boring Hel instead of the halls of Valhalla where I can fight and booze it up all day long. I better join the marines!"

Then again I'm funny that way.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:10 AM

Default Have You Been to Vegas in the Summer?

It's certainly a suburb of hell.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem with the Christian idea of God is that to a great extent it makes God a human, with human worries, concerns, and emotions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said! One's understanding of God is quite personal, but as someone who considers himself a Christian, I will share mine.

I agree the image of a jealous, angry God with ego issues is not very satisfying on any level. I think of God as the giver of life, the background of existence, or the potential for being. I say that God loves me simply because I exist; I suggest that the gift of existence is one given lovingly by God. God does this not because God is bored or God wants to glorify God's self by creating people to serve God, but rather because God is Love, and love creates.

We are called to worship God and nothing else because the moment we take our attention off of the fact that God has already fulfilled your being by loving you into existence, you become riddled with other desires (which, i think, inevitably lead to rivalry amongst humans as they compete for scarce resources when the only reasource they really need (God's love) is the one that is infinite).

It is probably clear that I don't believe in hell. I believe in the real negative consequences humans experiences as a result of not loving God (and one another), but I don't believe in a God that actively punishes them. That is anathema to God. I think God is all-loving, which gives God a limitless power to create, but not all-powerful, which would mean God can also destroy.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Have You Been to Vegas in the Summer?

Never been. Is it that hot?
Old 11-28-2005, 07:34 PM

Default Re:

why would god in the first place create people (or animals) who are capable of not believing in him.. have you ever seen an animal saying his prayers?

elandriel
Old 11-28-2005, 07:56 PM

Default Re:

That is a good question, why the hell did God create animals? He could just as easily have created an ecosystem that didn't require tsetse flies and cockroaches, and he created things like deep ocean creatures that man would never even come in contact with if not for the 00ber l337 technology that would come much later.

Seems senseless to create animals for food, since God could just as easily have made meat grow on trees, plus we could just go vegan if we wanted...and the companionship thing is stupid because animals don't have souls.

Can someone explain why an "intelligent" design includes animals?
Old 11-29-2005, 05:22 AM

Default Re:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Animals? What about microbes and virii? Doesn't seem like a sign of genius or love to me!
Old 11-29-2005, 06:24 AM

Hell surely exists, it is called "Party Poker" today.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:30 AM

Default Re:

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Animals? What about microbes and virii? Doesn't seem like a sign of genius or love to me!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell we could ask about tornadoes and hurricanes too [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I think the giraffe is evidence that God likes to do tripped-out drugs ^_^