Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 11-17-2005, 12:29 PM

Default I need a PCI-E x1 video card (or some help here)

I bought a Dell today. It comes with one PCI-E x16, one PCI-E x1, and 2 PCI slots.

The video card coming with it has one DVI and one analog slot.

I want to run 3 DVI monitors on it. The x16 PCI-E slot is taken by the video card coming with it. What are my options?

- Here is a PCI-E x1 card I found. I can't run dual DVI with it at 1600x1200 though, so I'd need to use analog.

- Here is a PCI card that looks like it does dual dvi at 1600x1200. Would the bandwidth on this be sufficient? Also, is this true DVI (it says DMS-59 to DVI and shows pics of some splitter)?

Is there any other options? Also, one should note I'll only have 2 monitors for a while so waiting and seeing while using the one DVI, one analog output for the 2 2001 FP's I have is an option. I'll be picking up a 2405 FPW when the price is < $750.

Thanks.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:42 PM

Default Re: I need a PCI-E x1 video card (or some help here)

I will not be able to confirm this for about 12 hours, when I am back in my computer shop, but I think this is the case:

A PCI 16x card will work in a x1 slot, albeit at a slower rate. This should not affect performance at all, except for 3D games.

Observe the picture below (GeForce 7800/512MB, Dual DVI, the latest & greatest)

The red-circled part of the interface I think is to fit a 1x slot - If anyone else knows better, please post & correct me. I will test this as soon as I get to work tomorrow afternoon, I will post results here.

dave.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:39 AM

I already checked and 16x won't work in a 1x slot, but a 1x will work in a 16x slot.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:34 PM

Indeed, you are quite correct.

The little connector looked like it should work, but alas, it does not [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] PCIe x16 cards won't even fit in a 1x slot. My bad.

I've looked at both your links, either of the two should do the job - I see ATi also makes a quad DVI version of their card - mmmmm... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I don't see the matrox on newegg, so unless you need both PCI slots for other devices, I'd probably go for the ATi.

Either or, shouldn't be much to seperate the two cards. Neither will be any good for £D games, and both should run 2 1600x1200 desktops without trouble.

good luck,

dave.