Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION

Old 11-15-2005, 04:54 PM

Default Re: Speaking of that which is offensive

It's a jopke.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Care to explain this action, and your drunken disagreements with me in this thread

[/ QUOTE ]

What is wrong with his points in that thread? The 15 year old comment? I know 12 year olds that are curvier than your girlfriend. Granted they are well ahead of their age but they could very easily put men in jail with or without a fake ID.

damn.... wasting too much time...

BTW, the Evan's PM response... so out of line yet so funny.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Offensive Photo?

[ QUOTE ]
but if somebody were offended by it i wouldn't question them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Question:

Say all the Jews weren't offended by an anti-Jew joke and wanted more funny anti-jew jokes. Yet an athiest wanted the Jew joke removed because he was offended, would you still comply?

I've come across this situation in real life btw.

On a website of 60K (and otisthemarsupial), your policy is a very bad one.

damn... wasting too much time.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First off, he didn't say "wtf nigger", he said "wtf nigga". Those are two totally different things. Also saying "you stupid nigger" is completely different that "yo dog! you ma nigga".

Honestly there are only a few kinds of people that get offended by this crap. They are:

1) Lawsuit fearing CEO's that forget they don't wear panties
2) People that are trying to be politically correct at all costs and are normally ignorant to the actual context or meaning of the message.
3) Black people that are playing the race card to get a free lunch or simply get off on a power trip.
4) about 20% (notice it's not 100%) of the people that use the term "white devil".

Still, it's funny how the only people complaining about this are white.

BTW, last time something like this came up one of my friends said "Man, white people are stupid.". Maybe I should show this one to him.

Dynasty has a bottle of Old E next to him and a WTF face. It's not a racist slur. If the Old E isn't photoshopped, the sign fits. If it is, then it's simply funny.

I can't believe I'm arguing this. Do you guys ever get out of the suburbs?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was not necessarily offended by this picture. I honestly could care less, but I would feel bad if somebody was offended by it, especially since this is a gambling message board.

Also, you originally mentioned the word "nigger" and burning Tom Sawyer books. My whole point was that what is not offensive to some, might be offensive to others. And since 2+2.com is a website meant to promote 2+2 material and gambling ideas, concepts, etc... we shouldn't in anyway alienate people (once again I am not referring to this picture). Especially when those who may feel "alienated" can't even defend themselves, because when they do, they are told they are "too sensitive". Once again, it is very easy to say one is being "too sensitive" when you haven't had to deal with being objectified or been attacked because of your ethnicity, sex, etc...

Anyways, decisions like this aren't up to me, but I think, based on the type of forum 2+2 is, there is no need for any discussion of race, religion, etc.. I don't see how any of this makes us any better gamblers.

craig
Old 11-15-2005, 05:28 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

it would depend upon the venue. if it's "my house", so to speak, i could easily see myself telling them to go fly a kite. the more commercial/public/large/responsible a situation gets, the more of an obligation one has to comply with requests like this. as a middle ground, i could see myself in certain situations saying "this has been removed at the request of THIS PERSON". if there's a massive number of people that disagree with them, they would be forced to reconsider their position. it would also save me the trouble of reasoning with them individually.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:50 PM

Naming names as to who complained to get a picture taken down is a very bad idea. It's just going to cause the person who complained to be demonized (e.g., Otis), right or wrong. That creates an even more hostile environment that having the picture up in the first place.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:15 PM

His points should have been made here. With this many moderators and all the people who get a kick out of taking shots, we don't need "dueling mods" in the other forums.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:30 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

note "i could in certain situations"

i was responding to wacki's generalized question, and not operating under the assumption that we were specifically discussing 2+2.

a) removing offensive content without prompting
b) removing potentially offensive contact only upon request, and flagging the person that made the request
c) removing potentially offensive contact only upon request, silently
d) telling the person who got offended to get a life

are all valid responses. the correct one is going to vary from situation to situation.