Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 10-17-2005, 11:55 AM

Default Re: OT: Thinking out of the box and about players and situations

[ QUOTE ]
Flame away.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Now let this thread die if you guys are just going to flame.

[/ QUOTE ]

Make up your mind! [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

edit- didn't see the posts already pointing this out [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 10-17-2005, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok first off do you have ICM when you play live??? No you don't. [I] have made it my priority never to use those things because I won't have them at my disposal during live play.

[/ QUOTE ]

um, sngpt is NOT meant to be used during a game

it is a LEARNING tool so u can learn when conditions dictate what cards are +$ev to push instead of fold...if u play sngs seriously, u really need to build those models in ur mind and build ur instinct or u'll be too aggressive or not aggressive enough

on the bubble, what matters most:

a) blind sizes
b) chip stacks
c) positioning (includes are u first in pot)
d) villian (calling ranges/pushing ranges)
e) your cards
Old 10-17-2005, 12:15 PM

Rocky what you have just said goes against everything the pros believe in
Old 10-17-2005, 12:32 PM

I won several tournaments last year and i had applied what you speak of here, man I'd be in the dole office now asking for a crisis loan. DUDE...........
Old 10-17-2005, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On a side not there is a juicy 50 dollar sng 500 dollar first prize at the taj in AC if anyone is interested.

[/ QUOTE ]

No there is not. There is a crappy 50 dollar SNG at the Taj in AC because it is 50+15! or 30% rake...also winner take all.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

rockythecat vs stanzee for the huc ii championship

[/ QUOTE ]

ahahahahahahaha. who will walk away with their shoelaces untied, unfit for their opponent to tie them???!?? find out saturday october, 22nd 2005. buy your tickets now now NOW!
Old 10-17-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
are you serious?

the sngs at the taj start with 20xBB, and the blinds raise every 15 minutes (in LIVE play). this isn't exactly what I call juicy, no matter how bad the players are.

also, most people don't use ICM in the middle of a game. they take interesting situations, during their downtime, and run it through, to see what the most profitable action is, so they will know for next time. if you can't see that doing that is obviously helpful, then you're just not thinking it through.

although at this point, you seem like you don't want any help. hell, you won the 40k guaranteed -- you MUST be one of the greatest players on this forum. after all, no one without a ton of talent can win a poker tournament. good luck, and i'm sure we'd all feel honored to be the recipients of your next pearl of wisdom.

[/ QUOTE ]

First off about the taj yes I am serious. Its profitable for me so I don't know aobut you. Second I have never proclaimed myself above any of you. I have said that I am a winning player which is true and I am sure most of you are too. I just said that everyone here just uses computer tools and books as the end all be all of poker when poker IS NOT AN EXACT SCIENCE. Every hand can be played differently with positive results. But i am done with this post because it seems like YOU don't want any help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Though I have never played it, the Taj SNG format sounds like just about the worst format imaginable for making consistent profits...I dont care how you did over 10 or 20, but winner take all with a 33% rake is not my idea of a good time...nevermind the blind stack ratio to start...what a joke.

I don't think you really know WHY ICM is useful...so you shouldnt put it down...

As for the rest of your assertions, they are so obvious it seems clear that your ideas have only just now become apparent to you and you felt like sharing. Thats nice, but spare us the pomposity.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:36 PM

I have a friend who is terrible at poker. Every week he loses money at our home game (I know this is the case because another friend has been tracking everyones results) against some extremely weak opposition. Also, having watched quite a few of his stt's I am fairly confident he's losing money playing on-line, and I'm absolutely sure he plays way too high for his ability.

However, he doesn't think he is terrible. In fact, he thinks he is bloody brilliant.

Last night I watched him place 2nd in a $25K GTD MTT. He actually should of won it, going into HU with a 4 to 1 chip lead, but through some terrible play he managed not to get lucky and blew the win.

Thing is, he doesn't even understand how lucky he was to get as far as he did. I watched him make some horrendous errors and get lucky. And I don't mean simply winning coin-flips or dominated hands (although he did win plenty of them).

He had a huge amount of hidden luck where his terrible play didn't get him into massive amounts of trouble (and when it did he sucked out). But he will not see that at all.

Don't ever discount the possibility that you may not be as good as you think you are and that the result you got from your big tourney may just have been a complete fluke.

Enjoy!

PS. Anyone that uses the term 'thinking outside the box' is a proper knob in my book.