Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 09-18-2005, 05:07 PM

Default Re: What You Protestants Don\'t Seem to Get

I think this means I get my book, Sklansky. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-19-2005, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And just how are you going to be successful in making disciples of thinking non-believers if you can't at least tell them you possess 100% certainty about the correct interpretation of scripture and doctrine? You have already asked them to take the gospel on faith and then are saying you aren't 100% sure about its correct interpretation if you say all christian denominations have doctrines that are faulty to some degree. The only way out of that is to maintain that precisely one of them which you belong to is 100% correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's retarded. I think every major denomination has the BIG STUFF down straight:
-God created the earth and it's inhabitants
-All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.
-we can find salvation through the blood of Christ
-God loves everybody, so we need to go to those people and tell them about God, and take care of them.

there are plenty of other doctrines that everybody argues about, sure. but, i don't think they are NEARLY as important as the stuff i mentioned above.

also, the Church is the Body of Christ. it is the ALL of the believers, not just one denomination's worth.

also, I DO believe there is an accessible method of accuracy
when it comes to interpretation of scripture. I think we have the Holy Spirit here to guide us. and the Spirit moves in mysterious ways. I cannot explain, or justify, or begin to guess at all that is at work through the power of the Holy Spirit. but I know god left us the Spirit to guide us while we are here on earth.

anyway, if you seek God out fervently, in prayer and wisdom and obedient faithful living in accordance with the life He has called you to, then I think God grants insight to scriptural interpretation to you when you seek it.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:35 AM

Well I think you forgot some BIG STUFF that isn't down straight, i.e. agreed upon by all Christian denominations:

- Does man truly have free will or doesn't he?
- Are some men predestined to perdition without ever having had a minimanl opportunity for salvation?
- Can non-believers sincerely not believe (whether they ever heard it or not) in the gospel and yet be saved?
- and the BIGGEST: what is necessary to be saved?

And there is a difference between the Holy Spirit guiding an individual person in applying scripture to his own life's situation, and guiding or not one denomination in having a 100% correct interpretation.

My points above, about scriptural interpretation and BIG STUFF that is disagreed upon by various denominations, shows in fact what I said earlier that when you ask a non-believer to accept the gospel on faith, i.e. without 100% evidence, then you are also asking that non-believer to accept an interpretation of that gospel that you acknowlege also to be less than 100% sure, unless you maintain that precisely one denomination is 100% correct in its interpretation.