Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 08-09-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Re: 100% standard AJ raptor hand from sb.. in the 55s at least..

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When you are playing short-stack poker (like a SNG), you are best served by getting chips into the pot whenever you rate to almost certainly have the best hand.

You played this hand like a little sissy on every street.

Irieguy

PS- The strategy trend on this forum seems to have evolved to the point where most people would advocate checking the BB with hands as strong as AK and folding top pair through levels 1-3, so that you are still alive to be in a position where you are forced to open push with 10-8s 5-handed with 5 BBs. I think this type of approach to SNGs worked much better a year or so ago... and even then it still wasn't as good as extracting maximum value at every level.

[/ QUOTE ]

irie get on aim im about to tear u a new one. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHA no post it here I want to see this. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I appreciate your point about risk-reward ratio with marginal hands, and agree that if you save enough chips for the later rounds your opponents' weaknesses make your actual cards a secondary issue. Still, I would like to know what flops you continue with? By the logic of avoiding marginal hands, I would just muck AJ preflop (as I tend to do). I suppose the difference here is that you're SB? If not, I can't help but think that if you are only looking for a J-high unconnected, unsuited and otherwise safe flop, that entering the pot initially will be a losing wager.

[ QUOTE ]

edit.. as for why i call the flop? are u kidding? why is everyone scared to see a turn? holla

[/ QUOTE ]

What turn is going to make you want to continue with this hand? A J? Gives you two pair, but also opens the doors to a fair number of draws that are realistic coming from this many limpers. I'm guessing an A coming isn't going to make you feel much better, either. The turn comes about as blank as it can and you're check folding. In this situation, I guess I don't really see the point of continuing past the flop if you're going to take this approach to the hand.

I'm probably leading on the turn, and if I get raised, then I'm done with it.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just check call the whole thing down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. From the 55s I've been playing, I find that people like to take a stab at the pot a lot more than they do at lower levels. (Well at the lower levels, they'll push when they're 'taking a stab'), but I find these bets to be easy to call down.

It's not a whole lot of stack you lose. And if he's on a bluff, or a bad ace, there's a good chance he'll check the river behind you.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:13 PM

better question

why are you playing 55's
Old 08-09-2005, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
better question

why are you playing 55's

[/ QUOTE ]

combination of things.. too many vegas trips, im rusty cuz i havent played in over 2 weeks, im poor cuz of too many vegas trips.. medical and car insurance.. bills.. dont really wanna deal with 10k downswings.. ive always destroyed 55s.. haha, i duno, im there for a lil while though. no stress poker is the nuts. holla
Old 08-09-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

edit.. as for why i call the flop? are u kidding? why is everyone scared to see a turn? holla

[/ QUOTE ]

What turn is going to make you want to continue with this hand? A J? Gives you two pair, but also opens the doors to a fair number of draws that are realistic coming from this many limpers. I'm guessing an A coming isn't going to make you feel much better, either. The turn comes about as blank as it can and you're check folding. In this situation, I guess I don't really see the point of continuing past the flop if you're going to take this approach to the hand.

I'm probably leading on the turn, and if I get raised, then I'm done with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

jeeeez.. yall gotta learn to open up yer minds. im not always just calling to improve my hand. have yall never played a NL cash game or a mtt before? holla
Old 08-09-2005, 05:21 PM

Enlighten me man, I'm serious. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Because from Villain's perspective I see two guys check call a min bet on the flop and check the turn to me. I need two cards and a pulse to throw out 60 chips.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By the logic of avoiding marginal hands, I would just muck AJ preflop (as I tend to do). I suppose the difference here is that you're SB?

[/ QUOTE ]

umm, yea, its 5 chips to call. im getting like 21509815918509 to 1. autocall. as for hands im looking for? its more about situations. holla
Old 08-09-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

jeeeez.. yall gotta learn to open up yer minds. im not always just calling to improve my hand. have yall never played a NL cash game or a mtt before? holla

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see your point. You're calling hoping that there'll be no more bets so you can win a miniscule pot with top pair good kicker? It seems kind of unlikely that there's going to be no more betting through the hand. You're calling to show that you won't fold to a minbet, just a minbet followed by more turn action? My mind is open, just say something.