Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 05-18-2005, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Morning games suck

[ QUOTE ]
I want to move to the perfect time zone, so I can wake up and play 9am-6pm with an hour luch break as if it were 2pm-11pm PST.

Hawaii is getting close, but Im sure its too expensive there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I grew up in Hawaii. It is very expensive. Almost everyone leaves after high school because the jobs are all low paying since everyone on the planet wants to live there(huge competition for jobs = terrible wages) and that's combined with insanely high real estate prices because everyone wants to live there(Americans sure, but also enormous buying sprees by Japanese snatching up properties at insane prices all over the islands). And also high cost of living, because everything has to be shipped overseas and not much food and such is produced locally.

Hawaii is a great place to be a kid and a retiree, but it's pretty rough anywhere in the middle. Seems most Hawaiians wind up living in Oregon or something. They want to still be someplace very natural, clean and beautiful; quality of life counts for a lot more than pure bucks.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:46 PM

Fruit and vegetables and meat are more expensive, and much less fresh. It's much easier to get a non-mushy, tasty peach or orange or ear of corn on the mainland. Canned goods are more expensive. Things that you use every day, not the things you would use on vacation, are more expensive -- pots and pans, pants, furniture polish, etc. ... the mundane things of living. But it's mostly produce and big appliances where you'll notice it most glaringly. Clothes too, often.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:20 PM

same here! And I'm too lazy to wake up at 8am our time to play against all the drunks living on the West Coast of the US (we are 9 hours ahead of West Coast)
Old 05-18-2005, 07:30 PM

Housing is much more expensive here. Gas is slightly higher than in California. It gets much more expensive if you don't live on the main island (Oahu). Most goods are more expensive than the mainland since almost everything has to either be flown over here or take the long, slow, boat ride over.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:13 PM

I sure do miss Oahu's Chinatown bakeries and the fresh papaya, guavas, and mango. Papayas especially really change taste if you don't eat them within half an hour of picking them; the ones here on the mainland taste like cardboard in comparison.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:46 PM

Yes, I have a few papaya trees in my backyard. Can't eat the store bought ones anymore. Because we can ripen them on the tree they are much sweeter. The ones sold in the store usually have to be picked before they are ripe because of bugs getting to them.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:50 PM

or you can go to bed at 4 am and wake up at 2pm( perfect time for me)
Old 05-18-2005, 08:55 PM

It's like that here on the mainland with corn. I always used to think that the term "sweet corn" was just plain weird. I loved corn, but didn't think of it as sweet, not until I had fresh picked corn over at my grandmother's house on the east coast. It really was sweet -- super delicious, totally unlike the corn I had growing up in Hawaii and elsewhere in the pacific. Supposedly it's like papaya in that it tastes way different a half hour after you pick it.

I gotta start growing tomatoes again or something. That's another vegetable that tastes totally different home grown from the flavorless mush you get in supermarkets.