Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Boston huge trade

I agreed, this trade is sending the Bruins franchise in the wrong direction. A few years ago when Boston traded Jason Allison away for pretty much nothing they became commited to Thornton as their main guy. Now they traded one of the top three forwards in the game and they got a decent two way 2nd line forward, an average defenseman that has not put up good numbers since his rookie year over five years ago and throw in 4th line forward.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:02 PM

I generally don't like deals where you give up a superstar for a few "depth" guys.

superstars are hard to come by. maybe Thornton had underachieved, but giving up on him isn't the answer
Old 12-01-2005, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who is your first line center now, Zhamnov? Isn't he as old as Messier?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he just plays like he's that old.

We definitely have a #1 center hole to plug. Among others.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:56 PM

I can't believe they didn't get any draft picks or something to go with it. Hard to rebuild your team without stockpiling young talent (like Thornton is that old to begin with). I would be pissed if I was a Bruins fan, but they were probably already pissed at how the season is going. Plus Boston fans are always pissed about something [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2005, 04:18 PM

this is an interesting article about the problems in boston
Old 12-01-2005, 05:23 PM

That article may be a little overboard, but if it is it's not by much. I don't listen to much of the talk radio or watch pre and post-game shows, but it seems that there's a lot of talk of Thornton's lack of trying, even though his numbers are right where they should be. It actually reminds me of Manny Ramirez and the Sox and their fans, except that there's never any record of Thornton asking out of here.

But the talk doesn't really seem to spread to a lot of true hockey fans, of which there are admittedly few out here.

I don't know. I'm very depressed about this. You'd think I'd be used to this crap, but I honestly thought they'd at least stick with Joe for two years of his three year deal.

We now have no # 1 line. Some depth. As far as I can tell, our best center may be Travis Green. *shudder*

I'm surprised there aren't more Ottawa and Montreal fans here making me eat crow. I was the guy saying back in Sept that the Bruins would win the NE division again. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

I don't see how they can let the same people keep running this ship if this is what we're getting.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:38 PM

That trade was brutal... maybe the Bruins are working on a deal with the Leafs... Sturm for Allison... you get your #1 centre, we get a winger who can (gasp!) score.

If they can turn around and do something with the players they got, to pull in a draft pick or young stud with potential, then I can go with it. But if this deal stands as is, San Jose is laughing.

But, as a Leafs fan, I can't say I'm sad the Bruins got a little worse... the less competition in the NE, the better.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:29 PM

Players like Thornton only come around once a decade. Anyone who likes Boston in this one - why? Unless you put Bergeron in as the first line center, it makes no sense.

I think the trade is fairly even, but only if Brad Stuart becomes the #1 defender he's been projected to be for years. Otherwise, the Bruins get three fairly pedestrian players back for a top talent. Sturm's an excellent 2nd line wing and Primeau's a good grinder, but that obviously doesn't add up to a Joe Thornton. It's Stuart who will make or break this deal.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:46 PM

3 quarters for a dollar
Old 12-01-2005, 10:29 PM

Interesting that Sturm scored the first goal for Beantown tonite and Sturm and Stuart assisted on the second. Not that I think you can draw conclusions from the first game, but hey, winning is quite out of the ordinary for the Bruins recently.