Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 01:45 AM

Default Re: What should I do in Germany?

Yeah it's Munchen FTW in that situation (hit up the HaufbreuHouse, goddamn that's misspelled)

Cody
Old 09-19-2005, 01:46 AM

Head to South West Germany (the black forest), buy a cookoo clock (you can watch them get build) and eat the cake.

Cody
Old 09-19-2005, 01:52 AM

Default historical type stuff

if you are in Munich, go to Dachau. It was a concentration camp during WWII, and has been well preserved, and turned into a museum. i went there a few years ago, and it was fascinating. (it's a short train ride from munchen if i remember correctly.) it's definately a cool historical sight.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:01 AM

Default Re: historical type stuff

Dachau was cool, but not what you'd probably expect if you're looking for Concentration Camp "feel". The museum is great, as is the movie they show, but honestly I was a little disappointed with the "feel" of the place (of course Dachau was a processing center, not a gassing center, so it was different than what I expected).

As an awful aside, I was once in Germany on a H.S. trip, and we went to Dachau, as we pulled up, the radio had that misfourtune to be playing "Another one bites the dust". Talk about awkward.

Cody
Old 09-19-2005, 02:15 AM

Default Re: historical type stuff

Yeah, if it's your first time here are some things I would recommend checking out:
Munich -
Dachau, Brew houses (i.e. Hofbraeu, Lowenbraeu, Spaten), Neuschwanstein (about 2 hours from Munich), Alte und Neue Pinakothek.
Rhein-
Take a boat ride along the rhein and see the sweet castles. There is a great one that has tours that is called Schloss Marksburg. Duesselsorf and Koeln also have some cool attractions.
I've never been to Berlin or Hamburg but you could spend your whole week in just those two. There is a lot of beautiful country once you get out of the city, though.
Viel Spass!
Old 09-19-2005, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bang Bitches with no rubbers .

[/ QUOTE ]

fixed
Old 09-19-2005, 05:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hitchhike.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nie...wieder...Berlin!
Old 09-19-2005, 06:22 AM

definatly stick to the bigger citys: berlin, hamburg, munich or cologne.

the redlight district in hamburg (called reeperbahn) is pretty interesting (maybe not as much as the one in amsterdam, though) and there are a lot of clubs and bars and other places to visit.

in munich you should visit the hofbrauhaus and of course a game of fc bayern muenchen in case you have the chance. there are also enough sites, clubs and other stuff so you can spend some days without boredom. but skip the redlight district.

when you go to cologne (not so interesting besides the 'koelner dom' imo), head for duesseldorf. not because duesseldorf is such a beautiful city, but there are a lot of good bars in a part called "altstadt".

oh, and in december you'll stumble across something called weihnachtsmarkt (christmas market). they'll be in every big city. visit one and get drunk.

forget the rest of the country and post some pics.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:54 AM

There is way too much to see in Germany for one week and since you'll have Berlin-Amsterdam as your main travelling route I suggest that you stay in the north to avoid lots of travelling. Also, you said you have a train ticket, so you are somewhat bound to the big cities. You can go to a lot a places by train but moving through the country side by train cannot be done time-effectively. Besides that, the wheather in December is mostly dreadful in Germany, so might be outdoor activities.

So, definately go to Hamburg and Bremen. They are pretty nice cities with a lot of sight-seeing to do and they are very liberal nightlife-wise. There are no pub/bar closing hours and you can get anything you want around the clock. For football, I suggest the Ruhrgebiet which is the coalmine/ industrial area and consists of around 15 cities. (This sounds horrible but as a matter of fact, most of the industrial stuff went down with the demise of the coal industry and the cities are quite clean now. Lots of mining museums there, if you are into that stuff. Also lot's of the easiest bangable girls). Go to a Schalke (Gelsenkirchen) or Dortmund match. You'll be lucky if you can get a ticket though.

If you like castles you could make a detour and do a riverboat ride down the Rhine which has the highest castle density in Germany.

Other than that, you could just do something that is off the beaten track that Americans like (Hofbräuhaus, Heidelberg, Rothenburg, Black Forrest, Neu-Schwanstein castle, Rhine): Rent a car. Start somewhere around Göttingen. Go south on the back roads (basically not the Autobahn) roughly direction Munich (maybe stay away from Eastern Germany). Stop anywhere where you feel inclined and do sight-seeing. You'll pass by at least 30 castles no matter where you go. You'll see more cities/ towns that look like the end of the middle ages than you can handle. Almost all of them have some sort of a museum. You'll also see a lot of very nice nature sceneries (though December is very triste). This would be doable in three days with a lot of time to see things. You'll end up in Munich, get your Hofbräuhaus fix, drop the car and go back to Berlin by train.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what should I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

ANTON!

ANTON!

ANTON!!

GEMME BIER TRINKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!