Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 01:49 AM

Default 2 confusing hands

I'm very new to online no-limit games, and realized I need a standard line for this type of situation:

villain is 43/27 over 44 handsParty Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

CO ($45.12)
Button ($29.28)
SB ($40.05)
Hero ($41.70)
UTG ($35.18)
MP ($53)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
[color=#CC3333]UTG raises to $1</font>, [color=#666666]1 fold</font>, [color=#CC3333]CO raises to $3</font>, [color=#666666]2 folds</font>, Hero calls $2.50, UTG calls $2.

Flop: ($9.25) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, [color=#CC3333]CO bets $5</font>, Hero calls $5, UTG calls $5.

Turn: ($24.25) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, [color=#CC3333]CO bets $10</font>, Hero calls $10, UTG calls $10.

River: ($54.25) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: $54.25
and similarly:
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 4 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

I was planning on folding to a river bet.

Button ($50)
SB ($141.80)
Hero ($49.15)
UTG ($16.05)

villain is 45/12.5 over 24 hands

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
[color=#666666]1 fold</font>, [color=#CC3333]Button raises to $2</font>, [color=#666666]1 fold</font>, Hero calls $1.50.

Flop: ($4.25) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]Hero bets $3</font>, [color=#CC3333]Button raises to $6</font>, Hero calls $3.

Turn: ($16.25) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]Hero bets $10</font>, [color=#CC3333]Button raises to $20</font>, Hero calls $10.

River: ($56.25) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: $56.25

and finally, one last similar hand:

villain made the same play on a paired board alittle earlier against me,except his turn bet was an all-in for alittle less than the size of the pot, and I folded overcards.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Hero ($39.75)
Button ($50.95)
SB ($24.77)
BB ($13.57)
UTG ($103.84)
MP ($43.13)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
[color=#666666]2 folds</font>, [color=#CC3333]Hero raises to $1.5</font>, [color=#666666]1 fold</font>, SB (poster) calls $1.25, [color=#666666]1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($3.50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
SB checks, [color=#CC3333]Hero bets $3</font>, [color=#CC3333]SB raises to $6</font>, Hero calls $3.

Turn: ($15.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]SB bets $8</font>, [color=#CC3333]Hero raises to $16</font>, SB calls $9.27 (All-In), Hero calls $1.27.

River: ($50.04) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $50.04
Old 11-09-2005, 02:12 AM

Default Re: 2 confusing hands

Preflop: If you're going to call this after a reraise you are playing for the set. So I would either fold preflop or call and hope for the set so I can stack someone (This also depends on the type of person the reraiser is but let's just assume he's typical).

Postflop: On this flop I see a few options.
1.) Bet out. If you get called then slow waay down. Probably check fold from there.
2.) Check. If you check you're not going to check call here. Either raise or fold. If your raise gets called then check fold from here on out.

Check calling the whole way is worthless to me. If they are on the flush draw then you're just giving them what they want and if they have an overpair you're giving them what they want. Get more aggressive on the flop. If you get resistence then back off.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: If you're going to call this after a reraise you are playing for the set. So I would either fold preflop or call and hope for the set so I can stack someone (This also depends on the type of person the reraiser is but let's just assume he's typical).

[/ QUOTE ]

heh I thought I was playing for set value, until the flop came all unders...

[ QUOTE ]
Postflop: On this flop I see a few options.
1.) Bet out. If you get called then slow waay down. Probably check fold from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

My problem with this is that I can easily get called by a straight draw or a pair of sevens or something, and I'd rather not fold to that type of hand if the turn comes like a Q or an A and they bet when checked to.

[ QUOTE ]
2.) Check. If you check you're not going to check call here. Either raise or fold. If your raise gets called then check fold from here on out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think check-raise is probably the play here. At the time I froze up, since I hate putting in a decent amount of my stack when there's a chance I could be drawing close to dead, but at the sime time there's a signifigant chance I'm good here.

[ QUOTE ]
Check calling the whole way is worthless to me. If they are on the flush draw then you're just giving them what they want and if they have an overpair you're giving them what they want. Get more aggressive on the flop. If you get resistence then back off.

[/ QUOTE ]
agreed...

And btw, in hand 3 how do you respond to villains turn bet?
Old 11-09-2005, 02:28 AM

you want to be called by a 7 or a straight draw.

that said, sometimes you have to give up some EV and I think despite flopping a small overpair, check fold isn't too bad.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:35 AM

Just calling his turn bet doesn't seem to be much of an option here since all his money will get in on the river anyway. So I guess if you're going to call might as well put him all in.
He raised you on the flop...you called...and then he still bet out on the turn. I think this eliminates overcards(unless he gets crazy with AK). If the flop hit him then he's got you...if he's got a high pair then he's got you. I guess I just don't know enough about him. I can't really put him on anything besides a strong hand. I think he's got you here. I don't think your move was too bad though. It's either fold or go all the way. How did that hand end up?
Old 11-09-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you want to be called by a 7 or a straight draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

not if I'm going to be check-folding the turn

[ QUOTE ]
that said, sometimes you have to give up some EV and I think despite flopping a small overpair, check fold isn't too bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah check-folding may be the way to go... what is your hand range for villain when he bets out here? I was having trouble getting a read on him.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:53 PM

yeah i probably should've folded, basically i only beat a 6, 77-88 and 78. Everything else he might conceivably play this way has me.

results: I won the first 2 hands, lost the last.