Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 09:35 PM

Default bad run of cards

Is it possible to go a straight 12 hours without picking up a single hand?
Old 11-24-2005, 10:11 PM

Default Re: bad run of cards

No.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:43 PM

no
Old 11-24-2005, 10:52 PM

depends on your definition of "hand" and how many hand per hour you play. i would assumer in a very very slow live game it might be possible if your def. of "hand" is AQs or better.

Tex
Old 11-24-2005, 11:57 PM

well yes and no. You may pick up a hand and then get outdrawn. I've been a solid winning player for a couple years. Not getting rich, but winning in the long term over all. Lately, I cannot win a hand. I got clubbed like a baby seal the other night at a home game with my fishy friends; 10 hours, 5 rebuys (1-2 NL) and no money at the end of the night. Its been the same online and at the card club lately. I'm just trying to buck up, keep playing my game, and wait for things to turn around. If you've been a long term winning poker player, don't let the short run get you down too bad.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it possible to go a straight 12 hours without picking up a single hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've gone two days without picking up a hand. I haven't played any poker in these two days though, so maybe that's skewing my results.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:42 AM

pog0,

did you mean didn't pick up a single good hand, or didn't win a hand in 12 hours?

obviously either is unlikely.

when i practice with my software (i.e. can get in huge # of hands), it does shock me sometimes how many hands in a row i'll fold (especially with aggressive players), but it would 40 minutes tops at B&M or 20 minutes at single table online... and if you're very selective (like we should be) then the ones you play have a good chance of winning (blinds excluded)
Old 11-25-2005, 12:41 PM

Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary.

Impossible is nothing.

- Adidas sports
Old 11-25-2005, 01:55 PM

No.

Even if your are supertight (play 10% of your hands) and the game is superslow (200 hands in 12 hourse), the odds are 1.4 billion to 1 against getting no starting hands.

Even if that happened, you'd find yourself in the big blind with no raises a few times.

Even if you didn't get a hand either of those ways, after folding every hand for an hour, you should have no trouble stealing a few blinds.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No.

Even if your are supertight (play 10% of your hands) and the game is superslow (200 hands in 12 hourse), the odds are 1.4 billion to 1 against getting no starting hands.

Even if that happened, you'd find yourself in the big blind with no raises a few times.

Even if you didn't get a hand either of those ways, after folding every hand for an hour, you should have no trouble stealing a few blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

aaron, good stuff!!

i like your last point, and would expand it. if the game is tight, then you can steal some blinds. if the game is quite loose, then you can play more suited cards in position. so you can basically play a few non-blinds hands in most conditions.

as i said, i still have my wilson software where i can do huge # of hands. and it's pretty common to fold 20 non-blinds hands in a row. much more than that is a big anamoly.

and before any pounces on me, i find wilson software alot tougher (with good profiles) than any game i've actually played B&M or internet.