Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 11:56 AM

Default RESULTS: Poker for the Big Easy Challenge

For those of you who did not see my original post, I decided to play the week of 8/31/05-9/6/05 for the Red Cross. My plan was to donate my winnings for the week plus an equal amount of my own money to the Red Cross for the folks in the Gulf Coast region, and I posted in the limit and no-limit forums asking people to join me. Several said they would.

I hope the folks who joined me did better than I did. For a while there, I thought that Party Poker had it in for the American Red Cross. Going into Friday, day three of the challenge, I was down $360 playing mostly $100 NL. Then, Friday, I played this hand:

Hero has KK in LP with $140 stack. All fold to villain in MP, who raises to $4 and has me covered. All fold to hero. Hero reraises to $12, all fold, villain calls.

~$24 in pot. Flop: Kxx, rainbow.

Hero bets $16, Villain raises to $50, hero pushes, villain calls. Turn is a queen, river is a queen, villain shows pocket queens. Ouch. That put me down $360, which turned out to be the low point in both $ and morale. (Can somebody explain villain's thinking in raising me after the flop and then calling my push? I was stunned and depressed by this hand).

I was at this point pretty soured on my play at Party, so I switched over to Pokerstars and turned the $20 in my Pokerstars account into a quick $105 in about an hour Friday night.

I started fresh on Saturday and started recouping some of the losses. By the time I quit Sunday night I was basically even for the challenge week and had only Monday and Tuesday to show some profit.

Monday and Tuesday were both modest winning nights. Monday night I was two-tabling, one $100 NL and one $50 6 max and had the unique (for me) experience of stacking villains simultaneously on both tables. Unfortunately, they were both pretty short-stacked.

But the good news is that I managed to show a profit both of the last two nights. Between Pokerstars and Party Poker, I finished +$259 for the week; with my match, that's $518 for the red cross.

If anybody else participated, I'd like to know how your week went.

I'll also add another pitch for the red cross: they are still taking donations, of course, so y'all should all take a crack at matching my $259, especially since I am a little disappointed at my week's results.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:48 PM

Default Re: RESULTS: Poker for the Big Easy Challenge

This would be more relevant if you posted in psych forum, but here goes...

You're post contains:

1. bad beat
2. Do gooder activity

My interpretation is that the donation (in addition to be the right thing to do) is an offering to you from the poker gods to ward off bad beats.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This would be more relevant if you posted in psych forum, but here goes...

You r post contains:

1. bad beat
2. Do gooder activity

My interpretation is that the donation (in addition to be ing the right thing to do) is an offering by you to the poker gods to ward off bad beats.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
After having posted the original post, which asked others to join me in the challenge week, I felt obligated to post my results. I hoped others would participate and announce their results as well.

Sorry if the bad beat and the do-gooding offended you. I just included the highlight and the lowlight from the week--it seemed more interesting and less of a "brag post" than had I just listed the results.

I actually did consider not writing the results post (the option you clearly think would have been best) but I thought that many of the people who responded to the initial post would be interested to see how the week ended.

I don't know precisely how to respond to your insult (that I'm donating to ward off bad beats). Eff you, I guess. My only intention in posting the original challenge and the results post was to hopefully persuade others to join me. Clearly that has not worked in your case--your contempt for "do-gooding" is obvious--but I expect you will prove to be the exception rather than the rule.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:50 PM

That is brutal. This guy is trying to do something good, and you make fun of him for it. Give the guy a break.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:07 PM

GJ, told u not to move up to stakes u havet played or beaten when playing on the red crosses dollar [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], good work though, I wish i was as good of a person as you.