Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2004, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Game 2

[ QUOTE ]
I love Van Gundy. Not sure why, but I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

His complete inability to control Stevie Franchise is hard to take, though.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With all due respect to the Rockets fans here, they're really not much competition. We'll see what happens when the Lakers get to San Antonio.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the Rockets suck. But we still have another Texas team to kick some Laker ass. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-20-2004, 11:27 PM

Stevie is an overrated player. So is Yao. They're good players, and have made Houston a good quality .620 team. But they'll never be the core of a championship team.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Stevie is an overrated player. So is Yao. They're good players, and have made Houston a good quality .620 team. But they'll never be the core of a championship team.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yao will dominate.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:36 AM

Being a frequent All-Star and "dominating" are not the same thing at all. Ewing was an All-Star, a Dream Teamer - and he didn't dominate. Shaq...Jordan...Bird...those players dominated.

Yao is a very good player and certainly a franchise center - but only time will tell if he'll decide to become a game-breaker.

And anyone who thinks that van Gundy isn't controlling Francis didn't want Francis play the past few seasons. He's infinitely more controlled and disciplined now than he was under Tomjanovich. To be fair, Rudy T. had less talent when Francis showed up and had little choice but to feature him and let him do pretty well whatever he wanted.

The Rockets will be just fine so long as Yao is there and healthy - he practically assures they'll make the playoffs for the next half-dozen seasons at least. It's what the have to surround him that'll determine how far they go. Right now, the answer is not far. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Irish
Old 04-21-2004, 11:09 AM

Lakers 'D' is consistent and they have more players than the Rockets. Regarding Francis, he's a two guard and could be a very good one IMO. He's really not a point guard. Too early to tell about how good Yao will be. He's young and it's only his 2nd year in the league.

A digression. I understand why the NBA coaches emphasize defense so much. Look at the Kings-Mavs series, the Kings shot 53% from the field and in today's NBA you just can't let that happen. Therefore I'm quite sure that NBA coaches spend much more time on defense than offense. It's also true that players can hone their offensive skills in the offseason. But my word I'm astonished how many easy jump shots NBA players miss today. Although I'll admit Kobe made some spectacular shots in game 2, for the most part I think the NBA is not nearly as entertaining as it used to be and mostly because players offensive fundamentals have declined.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:43 AM

I think the Rocket's prospects down the road look very good. Certainly more positive than the Lakers. Kobe will probably be gone and Shaq, Karl, and Gary will prob be around only 1 more season, maybe 2 for Shaq.

I think this Rocket team just needs to stay together and develop chemistry. Similar to the team in the early 90's. They made the playoffs a couple of years and went out in the 2nd round. They kept the team together, and centered their offense around Hakeem, and became the most dominate team in the NBA. During those two championship years, no one else was even close. The Spur's with their MVP, the Magic with Shaq and Penny, even if we had faced Jordan and the Bulls we would have taken them down. The Rockets had the best teamwork I've ever seen during those years.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
During those two championship years, no one else was even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

They were a 6 seed one of those years, so I'm not sure how you can say "no one else was even close". They did dominate the playoffs, though.

I am a huge Lakers fan, but I agree that they have a limited window to continue to win. How can I be upset, though...we already have 3 titles, a decent shot at a fourth this year....I can't get greedy, I know that the good years don't last forever, Shaq will eventually decline, Karl will be gone if they win this year, GP wants to get paid, and Kobe wants to show the world that he could average 40 pts a night if he was "featured".

I don't mind, though....I live for the now.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:13 AM

Default Game 3

Now that was an impressive game by Stevie Franchise.

Is there a bigger jerk in the world than Gary Payton?
Old 04-24-2004, 02:11 AM

Default Re: Game 3

Nice win and indeed a hella game out of Francis. As much as I've ripped the Rockets chances I really would love to see them win the next game at home and make this thing interesting. God knows we need at least one interesting series in the 1st round. Also, as a T-wolves fan anything that puts more miles on the legs of the Lakers and Spurs is fine by me. I feel for the Rockets fan as I still believe the Rockets are in much the same situation as the T-wolves have been in all these years, nice team, a lot to like, but ultimately just not quite enough talent to handle the big boys out West. If they were in the East they'd give any team out there a run for their money.