Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Am I going to hell?
No, you're right, retards ARE funny 35 33.02%
You're on the Hell express 71 66.98%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2005, 06:30 AM

Default A further poll about prejudice and discrimination

I posted a poll earlier today in which it seems the intellectual might of the 2+2 SMP forum thinks it is ok in certain circumstances to make decisions which discriminate between one or another race on the basis of statistical or probabilistic info.

A poll about prejudice and discrimination

I'm a little surprised by the results of this poll, and while I'm not saying everyone is wrong, I did suggest that it is a slippery slope and we should be cautious.

I present a further poll, which I think is a little farther down the slope

You are about to get on a airline on a flight near Washington DC on Sept 11 2005. There two flights boarding from nearby gates that you may choose from (lets say you were delayed or gave up a seat). You arrive just in time to see the last passengers pass through each gate. They are:

A very surfer-california looking white male aged 25-30
An man of obviously middle eastern descent aged 25-30

Which flight do you choose?

What if you were given some kind of a tip and knew for a fact that one of the men was a suicide bomber intent on hijacking the airplane. Don't get all heroic here either, I am just interested in which you think is more likely the terrorist. For the sake of the question you should assume that you can do nothing to stop it in time, and want to avoid the terrorist.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:38 AM

Default Re: A further poll about prejudice and discrimination

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a little surprised by the results of this poll, and while I'm not saying everyone is wrong, I did suggest that it is a slippery slope and we should be cautious.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm interested in hearing why this is a slippery slope.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What if you were given some kind of a tip and knew for a fact that one of the men was a suicide bomber intent on hijacking the airplane.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where's the option to not get on the plane?
Old 09-10-2005, 06:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm interested in hearing why this is a slippery slope.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously?

Ummm... I guess because many of the more extreme racist positions out there may be justifiable in this way. At very least, this is how many extremist racists attempt to justify a lot of their views.

As for the other poster's comment about not getting on the plane, reread the question. I am just interested in which plane would be better for you to get on if you were interested in avoiding the terrorist.

Regards
Brad S
Old 09-10-2005, 07:11 AM

I don't see how. You're asking if I was given a choice where there was a higher risk of dying vs a lower risk of dying, which would I take? The race issue is irrelevant here. No one knows of my choice. It has no negative effect on any person or on society. Only people with a phobia about the appearance of racism would think this choice has anything to do with race.

Or am I wrong?
Old 09-10-2005, 07:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As for the other poster's comment about not getting on the plane, reread the question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok.

[ QUOTE ]

I am just interested in which plane would be better for you to get on if you were interested in avoiding the terrorist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy ... NO [censored] PLANE. (And all the re-readings in the world won't change my mind)

Although, I like how someone voted to flip a coin for the first choice, but ultimately chose the white guy upon having 'inside info'. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

But I still maintain that nobody in their right mind would get on any plane hearing a passanger has plans to hijack it, especially on this date, so the poll is uber naïve IMHO.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:51 AM

Ugh

I remember being in a 2nd yr phil class once when we were taught about prisoners dilemma. We were presented the dilemma initially as a 'what would you do' kind of decision, and this one guy in the class kept saying things like

"easy, I'd never commit a crime or get caught to be in that situation in the first place"

as if that was somehow an ingenius way of circumventing the hypothetical, when it was really just missing the point of what the hypothetical was trying to demonstrate.

You aren't that guy, are you?

Regards
Brad S
Old 09-10-2005, 08:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No one knows of my choice. It has no negative effect on any person or on society.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I guess this is getting somewhere constructive

So you are saying that the key to this not being any kind of immoral racial discrimination is that it has no negative effect on any individual or society?

What if the question was instead something like:

You are hiring for low level airport security and have to choose between these two men. Their resumes look very similar but are not overly detailed in any way.

all you really know is that they have a high scool education, some work experience in minimum wage jobs, and maybe a year or two of community college each.

The one who does not get hired will be adversely affected, as he will remain unemployed.

Do you still go with the white male, or do you now flip a coin?

Regards
Brad S
Old 09-10-2005, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ugh

I remember being in a 2nd yr phil class once when we were taught about prisoners dilemma. We were presented the dilemma initially as a 'what would you do' kind of decision, and this one guy in the class kept saying things like

"easy, I'd never commit a crime or get caught to be in that situation in the first place"

as if that was somehow an ingenius way of circumventing the hypothetical, when it was really just missing the point of what the hypothetical was trying to demonstrate.

You aren't that guy, are you?

Regards
Brad S

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the weakest comparison I have ever heard.

Most people may say they would never commit a crime but nobody knows if they would and/or when one is at the mercy of the law they can be imprisoned against their will.

However in the extremely naive example above, unless you have been living under a rock post 9/11 nobody in their right mind will get on the plane after hearing a possible hijack is on the cards given the significance of the date.

Just admit it's a bad example, it's ok.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You are hiring for low level airport security and have to choose between these two men. Their resumes look very similar but are not overly detailed in any way.

all you really know is that they have a high scool education, some work experience in minimum wage jobs, and maybe a year or two of community college each.

The one who does not get hired will be adversely affected, as he will remain unemployed.

Do you still go with the white male, or do you now flip a coin?

[/ QUOTE ]

If there was absolutly no way to differentiate the two in terms of who is best for the job, and I found some hard statistical evidence showing that middle eastern men similar to the guy I am hiring (have been living in the country for about X years, came from country Y, etc...) have a higher density' of terrorists then white men similar to the guy I am hiring, then yes, I'd go white male. Conversely if statistically the white male was more likely to be a terrorist, I'd go the middle eastern guy.

Yes, I believe that racial stereotypes may be justified if there is unbiased statistical data showing a high likelyhood of some kind of correlation

At the moment I hold no sterotypes because I have seen any data that could support one. But I haven't actively looked for any such reserch.