Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Great Fish Quote

Sure, you could play 42s to a raise profitably if you could see your opponent's cards, but you can't. Just because your hand will win 35% of the time doesn't mean you can play it profitably to a raise (or even to a limp). Most of the times 42s beats AK is when you flop a pair and AK doesn't. Are you going to take bottom pair to a showdown and get paid off?
Old 09-29-2005, 08:39 PM

I agree with eder. Calling in this situation is fine.
From the op it seems the ep will have a hard time getting away from the hand and if you flop two pair vs. a big pair he will pay you with a very big pot for 2 way action. floping 2nd or 3rd pair is not what you are looking for. (though you can play that with a small +ev probably)
Trips, Two pair,Str,Flush is what you are calling the bet for. It also makes it harder for players to put you on a hand in the future. The player you want to be up against with the 42s is a TAA who is on the verge of tilt. Just my opinion [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2005, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sure, you could play 42s to a raise profitably if you could see your opponent's cards, but you can't. Just because your hand will win 35% of the time doesn't mean you can play it profitably to a raise (or even to a limp). Most of the times 42s beats AK is when you flop a pair and AK doesn't. Are you going to take bottom pair to a showdown and get paid off?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno if you read my original post where I put the disclaimer "Play decent postflop" ... dont think you need to see opponents cards...you can put him on top 10% of hands...analyse the flop to see...oh never mind...not into typing...
My real point is that TAG's are usually too tight and too aggressive...knowing this can be used to advantage if you play crap in the BB against them and dont suck too much ...you either lose 1/2 bet or gain 3 or 4.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:43 PM

Knowing that UTG is tilting and assuming that he's TAG I think that's a very defensible call from the BB.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with eder. Calling in this situation is fine.
From the op it seems the ep will have a hard time getting away from the hand and if you flop two pair vs. a big pair he will pay you with a very big pot for 2 way action. floping 2nd or 3rd pair is not what you are looking for. (though you can play that with a small +ev probably)
Trips, Two pair,Str,Flush is what you are calling the bet for. It also makes it harder for players to put you on a hand in the future. The player you want to be up against with the 42s is a TAA who is on the verge of tilt. Just my opinion [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, calling in this situation is horrible. You may as well say you'd call a raise from UTG with any two cards if it's folded to you in the BB.

What range do you put an UTG preflop raiser on, and how does your hand compare against that range? At best, you're only a 3:2 dog (unless you think he's raising with 53 or worse). At worst, you're a 4:1 dog, and that's if you get to see all five cards. The reverse implied odds on a hand like this are ridiculous. What is your plan if the flop comes Q72r?

The number of favorable flops you'll get with this hand are pretty slim. At best you can hope to flop 2 pair or better and hope UTG pays you off with a big pair he can't get away from. Any other draw you may flop will give you 35% percent equity at best, which will be an EV- situation when you're HU.

If there were quite a few cold-callers between you and UTG, this might be worth a call, but generally I'll never voluntarily put money into a pot with 4 high, even if it is soooooooted.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:03 PM

I raise 42s here
Old 09-29-2005, 10:12 PM

regardless, some [censored] goes down preflop and two players end up all in, AA vs. AJ
AJ says after the hand: Party Poker is so rigged (b/c the board came 4 flush and AA won.)
AA: yea i'm sure it is since you were such a favorite when the money went in.

this was like 200 or 400nl, these guys aren't supposed to be this retarded.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Or my all time favorite when i missed a straight draw and bet out the river with 8-high and got called by Queen high, "Good bet, I almost folded"

[/ QUOTE ]

How big was the pot? His call and his comment may have both been correct.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:27 PM

no i wouldn't call in this situation with any hand. for instance vs taa i would fold kx. 42s is a much better hand in this case as you will know where you stand after the flop. If the flop is say 842 rainbow you know you have the best hand vs a taa. you get away from the hand early or you have him killed. If taa has something like qq he will never be able to get away from the hand. Prolly some raising will be going on also. Note: 42s is better than many hands in this case.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

No, calling in this situation is horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then what do you defend your blind with? A premium hand?

[ QUOTE ]

If there were quite a few cold-callers between you and UTG, this might be worth a call, but generally I'll never voluntarily put money into a pot with 4 high, even if it is soooooooted.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO

I think you need to rethink your game. You elaborated wrongly well though.