Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2005, 03:25 PM

Default Bigger Blinds?

Since the whole reason for blinds is to fight over them, why not make the blinds bigger? For example; in a 2/4 game with 1/2 blinds, have the blinds at 2/4. This way unless there is a raise (which would call the big blind or a 3 bet would raise it $2) the big blind could make money. This would help insure people have a good hand except the big blind. There would be no chopping the blinds either. Really, the blinds are not much money to fight over the way it is now. This would reduce blind stealing and give the big blind a real shot at money since he/she is forced in. What do you think?
Old 12-03-2005, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Bigger Blinds?

I'm not clear exactly what you are proposing. Would you make the BB post and extra 1sb dead money? If you want to increase the initial pot, it would bake more sense to make two or three 1 small bet blinds, or have an ante in addition to the blinds.

Also, you seem to have the effect on the game exactly backwards. The BB would lose more. The BB is always going to be a losing proposition, because you are forced to put money in the pot with any hand out of position. Increasing the amount posted will incrase the loss. Also, if I understand your proposal correctly, you would still be able to see the flop for 1 small bet if there is no raise. With more money in the pot, this increases the incentive to limp in with marginal hands, and increases the incentive to steal the blinds. Yes, it costs more to steal, but there is also more money to be made by successfully stealing. Bigger blinds and antes reward looser play, and skew the luck/skill ratio toward the luck side (in other words, a winning player will have more variance). As an example, Colorado cardrooms offe 5/5 holdem (2 $5 blinds abd a $5 flat limit on all streets). These games tend to be very LAGGY, often capped preflop. They can be profitable, but are very high variance games. Most 2/4 games are already very loose. Your idea would make them looser. For higher stakes games, increasing blinds or antes often makes sense, because these games can be pretty tight. However, making the big blind post an extra small bet of dead money seems like a very unfair way to do this.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:22 PM

There would be no chopping the blinds either.

How would you do this? Make a rule? How would it be enforced? Say the blinds say "we chop" and pull back their chips. Are you actually suggesting the dealer reach into their stacks and take the chips back?

As a point of fact, technically chopping is against the rules at Foxwoods, but I've never seen a dealer enforce it.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:01 PM

Chopping is technically illegal everywhere that doesn't allow table horsing.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:17 PM

What I'm trying to say is that you need to raise to even call the big blind. Therefore you can't limp anymore and if you do and nobody raises to the big blind then the big blind will make money. So while the big blind is in a sense dead money it will take a real hand to steal it. I thought of this after realizing people will bet just to bet even when there isn't much money to bet at. Though I think 3 blinds might be better than 2.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This would help insure people have a good hand

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer poker games where people are encouraged to play bad hands
Old 12-04-2005, 10:08 PM

Good point, just throwing out the idea, that is all.

Thanks
Old 12-04-2005, 10:14 PM

In your 2/4 example what happens to the betting structure?? If the blinds are 2/4 and then the small bet is 2 dollars it effectively prices everyone in to nearly any call with any piece of the board/overs/backdoor draws on the flop. It would make protecting your hand on the flop completely impossible and completely change the game. No offense meant at all, but your idea essentially makes no sense.

Good luck,
Matt
Old 12-04-2005, 10:34 PM

True, hmmm, I will have to re think this over and figure out a different structure.

Thanks
Old 12-04-2005, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
True, hmmm, I will have to re think this over and figure out a different structure.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's really nothing to figure out. The structure of blinds currently makes perfect sense in the fact that the BB is one small bet. Thus it's a small bet on the first two betting rounds and the big bet on the turn and river. The only adjustment that would make sense for your bigger blind structure is to raise the bets, which isn't a change in structure but simply in the stakes (limits) you're playing. How bout we just leave it the way it is?

good luck
Matt