Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 12-01-2005, 02:57 PM

Default Tax return question

Due to me being in school most of my life, and my dad enjoying the tax break from having a dependent, I will be filing a return the first time next year.

The salary I get from my job will be easy enough to calculate, but I have a question regarding poker winnings...

I anticipate being in the black on poker for the year, but I know that the typical way to report is to write your total winnings in, then deduct your total losses. Would it be problematic to simply declare your profit as income, and list no losses as a deduction?

I apologize for such a noobish question, and I'm sure I'm probably overlooking a basic mathematical concept in the process, but I think one of you can answer it better than I can research it.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Tax return question

might lose you some loot
Old 12-01-2005, 03:14 PM

No. You cannot list the net winnings. You must list the gross winnings and the gross losses separately (which if you add them together give you your net winnings anyway).

On a related note, you probably won't want to claim the standard deduction if you are reporting gambling winnings, otherwise you cannot deduct your losses.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2005, 03:27 PM

Interesting...I will have to look into what deductions I took on my paycheck(I recall it was as many as possible) to avoid that problem.

Also...it will all depend on whether or not my profit for the year is significant enough to report...I mean, would it be an issue to not report $500 or so?
Old 12-01-2005, 04:15 PM

The deductions on your paycheck have nothing to do with itemized deductions you take on your tax return. The standard deduction for 2005 is $5,000, so if your total itemized deductions (including your gambling losses) are less than that then you can't itemize.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:22 PM

I see...

Methinks I should buy a Tax for Dummies book or something, just so I don't feel quite so lost.

Thanks for the help on this.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:29 PM

Would it be problematic to simply declare your profit as income, and list no losses as a deduction?

IRS publication 529 specifically forbids reporting the net of wins and losses as income. All wins must be reported as income on form 1040 and all losses must be reported as an itemized deduction on Schedule A.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:03 PM

Unless you've got large winnings that generated an IRS form(s), you may not have a problem.

<ul type="square"> [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img][/list]
(I am not a CPA or tax advisor, but I did spend a couple of nights in a Holiday Inn last week.)
Old 12-01-2005, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The deductions on your paycheck have nothing to do with itemized deductions you take on your tax return. The standard deduction for 2005 is $5,000, so if your total itemized deductions (including your gambling losses) are less than that then you can't itemize.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was told it was 7K as of 2005. I don't know if my information is correct, just pointing it out.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2005, 06:23 PM

I had that thought, actually...but I don't want to get audited my first time out of the box. Any thoughts along these lines from folks who are wise in the ways of the evil tax?