Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 09:48 AM

Default nifty AA hand

$80-160 at Bay101. I was in the cutoff with pocket aces, both black. Two players limped and I raised. The button called, leaving him with exactly two big bets. Both blinds folded and both limpers called. Four players.

The flop was 8-6-3 with two hearts. The limpers checked and I bet. The button called. My read on the button at this point was I think he would have raised in that spot with any hand that could beat mine with one improvement, in other words, a draw or a pair. Because he did not raise, I assumed he needed runner runner to beat my aces.

The first limper folded and the second limper checkraised. I called* and the button called. Three players.

The turn was a black king. The limper checked. I put him mostly on a draw, but possibly a set. (My non-threebet on the flop might have looked to him like I had AK, meaning he might go for a checkraise on the turn with a set even after he checkraised the flop.)

I was about to bet the turn when I looked left and I saw that the button liked the king. So I checked, and the button bet, he was all-in now, and the limper called, and I checkraised into the dry side pot, and the limper called, and now I knew I had him beat, and the river came a heart, and the limper bet fast, and I folded just as fast, and the limper turned over the nut flush, and the button showed KQ, and all and all I figure I earned $320 on this hand, the $160 extra that the limper put into the pot because I checkraised the turn instead of betting it, plus the $160 I didn't put it on the river. Running goooood!

*(Let’s stick with an orientation based on the actual players and card distribution, and take a look at what would have happened had I threebet on the flop.

The button, despite being shortstacked, was not playing or thinking desperately. I strongly believe that he would not have called two more bets cold on the flop with KQ. So the pot would have come down to headsup on the flop had I reraised.

Assuming the limper just calls my reraise on the flop …

1) If he checkcalls the turn and he bets the river, I’d call.

2) If he checkraises the turn, I would call his turn raise and I’d call a river bet.

3) If he checkcalls the turn and he checks the river, I would very likely bet, and when he checkraises, I would decide then what to do.

4) If he checkraises the turn and he checks the river, I would decide then whether to bet or check. If I decided to bet, I would have very likely already decided whether or not I was going to fold to a checkraise.)

Tommy
Old 10-17-2005, 09:54 AM

Default Re: nifty AA hand

Again Tommy-- nice post, nice play and great thinking at the table==
this must be how you keep getting a steak and not Taco Bell night after night---
Love the CD I bought from Poker Babe (Robin)......
Old 10-17-2005, 09:55 AM

hey tommy,

love reading your posts. do you ever win a hand?

-fuji

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2005, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and all and all I figure I earned $320 on this hand, the $160 extra that the limper put into the pot because I checkraised the turn instead of betting it, plus the $160 I didn't put it on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't earn a full $160 extra on the turn checkraise, because the limper had a share of the pot equity at that point with his nut flush draw. For simplicity, let's say he had 20% equity. Thus, $320 went into the pot with that extra bet on the turn ($160 from him and $160 from you), of which he expects to win about $64 = 20% of $320. So your turn checkraise makes you about $96 (the difference between what he put in and what he can expect to get back).
Old 10-17-2005, 12:17 PM

"I was about to bet the turn when I looked left and I saw that the button liked the king."

Can you provide any details about what exactly you saw? Thanks.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I was about to bet the turn when I looked left and I saw that the button liked the king."

Can you provide any details about what exactly you saw? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was probably giving the dealer a thumbs up.

-SmileyEH
Old 10-17-2005, 01:18 PM

Yeah, I saw that one in Caro's book of tells.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hey tommy,

love reading your posts. do you ever win a hand?

-fuji

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

He made $320 on the hand!

~D
Old 10-17-2005, 01:51 PM

Jesus is this what they mean by perfect poker?

Man, if you had just posted this hand like a hand history or something without anything else, all of us would be so lost.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:16 PM

are you raising any turn if the limper bets out ?