Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 09-27-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Getting sentimental in my old age

Lately I have been thinking a lot about the gifts I have given people and received from people for birthdays/holidays/etc and been feeling kind of bad. Many of them, both given and received, have been "consumable" items such as gift certificates, straight cash, or bottles of wine/liquor or other stuff like electronic crap that will be obsolete in 2 years.

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for the family and friends I have and the gifts they give me, but I would rather get (and give) things that are lasting, rather than stuff that will be consumed/used or thrown away before too long. I think a lot of this is triggered by the fact that my parents will be 60 within the next year, and they aren't going to be around forever. I want meaningful things to remember them by, and I want to start giving them and others close to me meaningful things too. Anyone else feel like this, or do I need to clean the sand out of my vagina? Also, what kind of things would you guys suggest as gifts for the purpose I have in mind that aren't terribly expensive?
Old 09-27-2005, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Getting sentimental in my old age

Knit them a blanket.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:55 PM

Name a star after them [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2005, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Knit them a blanket.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a horrible idea, but I'm a 24-year-old guy who has never knitted or sewn anything in my life.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:26 PM

Knit them a check.

Just kidding. Gifts with some thought in them always seem better to me, in close relationships. Handcrafted gifts you've made yourself are beyond awesome and a deeply personal display of friendship or love, if you're any good at making stuff. Of course, if you're bad at making stuff, it can seem really lame.

Really good gift giving is kind of hard. That's why I try to keep an eye out throughout the year for items that really fit someone's personality. There aren't that many of that type of gift around, and if there are, I won't recognize how good it is every time. That kind of peculiar attention to what's exactly right for someone comes and goes, so you have to strike while the iron is hot. I'll buy a gift 9 months early if I think it would be perfect, and just keep it tucked away till then.

Way better than scrambling around during the Christmas season and winding up picking out something that doesn't turn you on.

As far as stuff for parents, all my dad ever wanted was Old Spice cologne. He was impossible to buy anything for.

My mom really liked an elegant table, so I would buy her crystal sometimes. I got her some very nice crystal candle holders once that she really liked a lot. She got to show them off to company. She also collected elephants for a while, so that was always good for a gift for years -- pottery, crystal, wood, enameled, whatever. Hobbies are easy to buy for. I think most women really enjoy elegant things, too. People's tastes in crystal varies, though, so you either need superlative taste or to really know the tastes of who you're buying for.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:55 PM

Good post Blarg, thanks for the advice.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:57 PM

Asking people here what to get is useless. You know them, we don't. Gifts should suit the person you buy them for.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:09 AM

How old are you? 60 for parents doesnt seem too old.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf?
Old 09-28-2005, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Not a horrible idea, but I'm a 24-year-old guy who has never knitted or sewn anything in my life

[/ QUOTE ]