Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: 12% PFR, folded to you
Raise 8 26.67%
Call 2 6.67%
Fold 20 66.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2005, 01:14 PM

Default When to go pro?

I have been playing poker for a few years and dedicated myself to sng play for the last 10 months. I really hate my job and envy all you sng pros. I have now played over 2000 sngs and I am a little disapointed with the results, but I feel that I have plugged some leaks and gotten better and my actual results will be better in the future.
Results:
10's:
Played:1,222
Profit: $1563
ROI: 11.6%

20's:
played:788
Profit: $1218
ROI: 7%

Total SnG's played: 2010
Total Profit: $2,781
Total ROI: 9%
Rakeback: $193
Total ROI w/rakeback: 9.6%

My wish is to now move up to the 33's. I would 6 table for 8 hrs a day 5 days a week. If i can maitain even a small 5% ROI plus rakeback I will make around $3,600 a month. That is much more than the $12 an hour I now make at my current job.
I also have 20k in credit limit on credit cards wich would enable me to get by 1st few mnths if things go bad.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Re: When to go pro?

First, dont rely on credit, bad idea.

Second, I would stay at the 20s for a while and try and fix some leaks. 7% isnt great, but its positive and thats always good [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], but the 30s are a step up so make sure you are ready for it. I've actually stayed at the 20s lately because I've found them to be much easier.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Should I quit my job and play SnG's for a living?

[/ QUOTE ]

if you have to ask, the answer is no

quit your job only when it is costing you an obscene amount of money not to

also consider the non-financial ramifications...if you have some time check the first couple weeks of my blog (link in my profile) to see how bad it can get mentally

also get the new card player...thomas keller wrote an absolutely fantastic article (not yet up online, i tried to find the link) that is DEAD ON in every way about some of the drawbacks of playing for a living...bottom line, it is not as glamorous as you may think
Old 09-26-2005, 01:38 PM

I'd play a some 33's and see what your ROI actually is at that level. 11% and 7% ROI are very low for the 11's and 22's. I'd work on your game some before moving up or going pro.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:42 PM

If I were you, I'd six-table the 33s on my days off before making any decisions. If it turns out you're not making the money you expect to, you'll be glad you still have income from your regular job. If you are successful, you will make enough during the test phase that you won't have to rely upon credit to get you through your off months.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:42 PM

8 hours a day 5 days a week? Jesus christ!
Old 09-26-2005, 02:06 PM

You could do what i'm going to do, and that is quit my job in a years time and go to a university located somewhere considerably cheaper to live then where i currently live (I live in london at the moment-it is very expensive). This way i'll be having a blast at college, i'll be getting extra qualifications, i'll be able to quit my job (which is fairly well paid, but i don't particularly enjoy), and i'll have much more time for poker (and partying). If the poker doesn't work out, then at least i'll be able to tell future employers that i quit my current job to get a degree, rather then having to tell them i quit my job to become a "professional online poker player". Seems like a win, win, win situation for me.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:08 PM

In the immortal word of John McEnroe, you cannot be serious [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I just checked your previous posts. Last month, you said that your bankroll was $380. You need to add a couple of zeroes on the end of that before you ask this question again.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:25 PM

When to go pro?

Before the unemployment runs out.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:01 PM

Keep playing and working on your game.

Try playing 8/hrs a day on some of your days off, it can actually be kind of a grind it is not as easy as it sounds.

Build a non poker bankroll so a bad stretch doesnt kill you financially. Try to do your current job and poker or a new part time job and poker. Try to avoid putting all your eggs in the poker basket, until you are so good you cant afford not to turn pro.

Much success in whichever path you choose.

KennyBanya