Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2005, 05:54 PM

Default 109- AK limp raise

I don't limp big hands UTG very often but since I did what do you think of this line?

Total number of players : 10
Seat 2: onkhh ( $1150 )
Seat 3: jockson ( $845 )
Seat 5: play_fo_food ( $1305 )
Seat 6: smellme2 ( $765 )
Seat 7: donkosapien ( $815 )
Seat 8: bluke51 ( $1320 )
Seat 10: Nancy999 ( $945 )
Seat 9: HERO ( $850 )
Seat 4: actionjim01 ( $1040 )
Seat 1: pokachump ( $965 )
Trny:14748699 Level:2
Blinds(15/30)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to HERO [ Ah Kd ]
HERO calls [30].
Nancy999 folds.
pokachump folds.
onkhh folds.
jockson folds.
actionjim01 raises [150].
play_fo_food folds.
smellme2 folds.
donkosapien folds.
bluke51 folds.
HERO is all-In.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:27 PM

Default Re: 109- AK limp raise

Well obviously folding isn't an option. If he raised to 90 you might get more value out of playing post flop but you are out of position here with AK so you need to eliminate that factor by pushing here.

As as aside: Did you limp utg with no real plan for the hand? It would seems obvious that you limped here with the intention of limp-raising but now you are asking about the hand AFTER the limp. You need to think about your plan for the hand and why you are doing certain things BEFORE you do them.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:57 PM

I play the 11s-33s, and I make this play often. Of course, I prefer there to be some more dead money out there, but I have found (for me) that this is the most profitable way to play AK from EP in levels 1 and 2.

You just have to be able to get away from TPTK if the pot is multi-way and unraised. But if there is an active player at the table who can be counted on to likely raise after early limpers, this play is fairly standard for me.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:59 PM

i dont really limp with ak, but i used to make this play a lot.. i dont mind it. u get AK to fold almost every time, and can pick up some chips easy. its not bad, i duno how good it is though. id prefer to open for 90 or so, but of course you know that [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] mixing it up never hurts though. keep yer options open. holla
Old 09-17-2005, 07:44 PM

What Peter said is pretty much bang on. You have to have a plan even if that plan is heavily reliant on contingency plans. I personally raise to 100 and go from there though. I'd limp reraise this in level 3.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What Peter said is pretty much bang on. You have to have a plan even if that plan is heavily reliant on contingency plans. I personally raise to 100 and go from there though. I'd limp reraise this in level 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

oooooo, every1 gettin on first name basis. ruh roh. its like a bad horror movie is beginning. holla
Old 09-17-2005, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oooooo, every1 gettin on first name basis. ruh roh. its like a bad horror movie is beginning. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha I know. I've known him too long to start calling him Apathy though. It'd be like starting to call one of your best buddies by some internet name he made up for himself. Haha, can't do it.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i used to make this play a lot

[/ QUOTE ]Hahah, I used to do this all the time too, but I switched to just raising 3BB too and that's working better I think. I still do it occasionally for fun, there's nothing wrong with it I don't think. And at a lot of tables you can know it's going to work. And then someone calls you with AQ oh cool [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2005, 04:31 AM

Yeh Like I said I usually raise to 95-125 here but it was a fairly agressive table and I liked the possibility of a limp raise (yes I did have plans for the hand and I followed through with them and whille I make a living on being a total luckbox I sometimes consider poker strategy).

I especially like limp raising here because I'm getting shortish and it's a pretty good way to trap some chips if I can get the raiser to fold plus AA and KK are the only hands I'm worried about and since I have AK chances of the villan having AA or KK...blahblahblah read TPFAP. Also if its limped around and I miss the flop I can dump it and I'm not going to be in terrible shape. Finally I won't have to worry about playing AK OOP if my original raise gets flat called and I miss the flop.

I was just wondering what other people thought of this line. I guess after the limp the consensus seem to be poosh which is kind of what I expected. In fact since nobody's really suggested another line I'm thinking my play was pretty standard.

Everyone's saying raise which is also pretty expected for this hand but I gave my reasoning for the limp raise in this situation even though its a play I don't usually make.
That and with all my random OT posts I needed some sort of strategy related post.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:40 AM

At what levels is this play respectable? I hate it at the 11s where I assusme they call with more, and where I assume hitting TPTK is worth more chips against a worse TP. Am I wrong to hate it at the 11s or is there some higher level where it becomes a fine play?