Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 09-12-2005, 12:37 AM

Default Re: quiet

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's good to be able to do both. Obviously everyone is just going to do what they are most comfortable with. But if I put a bad beat on someone, i'm much more likely to then start talking and ribbing the guy. When I want to, it seems like I am able to put half a table on tilt without actually doing anything out of line myself.

I also lie about hands constantly and appear honest. Does anyone think this is wrong to do? Talking for me is a lot more fun, but I also occasionally switch it up and become very quite, especially after a bad beat I take, I like to become quite and make it seem like I'm just tilting to myself. Does anyone else do this sort of image projection? I don't play very high (10-20,15-30, occasionally 20-40) but at this level most people can't see though this, and even if they do, it doesn't matter because i'm mainly just trying to be annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ive never tried to put people on tilt, I always try to make them have fun and feel relaxed. I want them to know that they can draw to their runner runner and beat me and I wont care. I'm sure there may be merit to your approach but i just dont do it myself. The times I am quiet is when i just played a hand and I think I mightve made a mistake on a certain street. Then I'll think to myself and go over how or why I made the mistake. I am also quiet when I am at a table full of angry people. Theres no point talking to them, but it would be fun to put those people on tilt [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2005, 12:51 AM

I always marvel at these people who sit at tables full of good players and proceed to tell stories about hands they played the night before and how they played them and why.

I just sit there and listen, smiling and shaking my head and laughing along with them at their tales, and silently thank them as I file away the info to use against them on a rainy day.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:00 AM

"if I put a bad beat on someone, i'm much more likely to then start talking and ribbing the guy."

I think that's a mistake. I don't want anyone gunning for me. I don't want the table thinking I'm a jerk. I want them happy to be playing with me even if some of them think I'm a tough cookie.

My sense is that treating people well is not only the right thing to do from a human being standpoint, but from a stricktly +EV view.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

My sense is that treating people well is not only the right thing to do from a human being standpoint, but from a stricktly +EV view.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-12-2005, 04:53 AM

I think i came off not the way i meant. While i do talk it up, and i will talk rib some guys, in general I am just in a pretty good mood. I am never mean, but I certainly usually talk more than most people. It's something close to a balance of trying to get some guys that are bad to play even worse, and try to make most people like me (people generally tend to, i usually make friends with 2 people, piss off 2 people, and the rest probably have no opinion of me)

Also I don't mind people gunning for me, it makes some pots gigantic that really have no business. Last time I played i won a 24 big bet pot with AKs when i simply hit an Ace. If i sit down and just play straight and say nothing, this would have never happened, two people played the hand specifically cause we were gambling. I am not verbally abusive, but I was encouraging these guys to gamble a lot more than they normally do.

EDIT: i totally understand anyone who wants to sit solid and listen, they might pick something up on me, but in the meantime i'm going to get more action. It's give and take and just preference as far as i'm concerned. If someone else is talking a lot when i sit down, i usually don't say anything for a great while after playing
Old 09-12-2005, 02:14 PM

I DON'T WANNA WORK..I JUST WANNA BANG ON THE DRUMS ALL DAY!!

Lawrence
Old 09-12-2005, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate playing live for many reasons, one of whcih is having to listen to what donks think about poker. I toss on my Ipod, and ignore everyone. You are not alone in you quietness.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you learn so much! Especially about your opponents [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2005, 04:24 AM

Nice post.

"...the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." -R.W. Emerson

GP
Old 09-13-2005, 08:43 AM

tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt
-Mark Twain

That being said, I am constantly talking at any table I sit at.