Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 06:21 PM

Default Did I misplay top two pair? Deserve to be criticized?

I have been thinking about this hand for awhile and wanted some advice. I have Q10o and I am on the button in a 1-2 game. Standard raises in this game are about 5x bb (I know this is really high). Anyways, theres a 3xbb from early position. There are 2 callers and then it's on me. I'm trying to vary my play/loosen up a little (I had been playing very tight) so I call.

Flop comes 4 2 Q rainbow. It goes check, check, and an aggressive player bets 15 into the 25 pot. This same guy has about 500 in chips and I have about 250. I decide to call and see what happens on the turn. Other two players fold btw.

On the turn comes a 10 giving me top two. Now the guy who bet 15 on the flop bets 30 into the 45 pot. Again I just call. Now I could see how someone would say this was a mistake, but I was hoping to have him bet again on the river with AQ, KQ, or QJ.

On the river he bets 50 and I again just call. At the time, I didn't really put him on cards other than AQ. I still had around 200+ chips in front of me and was worried if I re-raised and he went all in I was beat by a set. He also turns up Q 10 and its a chop pot. After the hand is over he says what the [censored], you are so tight man. You don't raise 2 pair?! I was pretty insulted by this since I don't think I played the hand that badly. I responded to him that he'd been playing aggressively so why not let him do the betting. Anyways, what do you guys think about this?
Old 09-09-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Did I misplay top two pair? Deserve to be criticized?

You didn't post what the river was, but I'm assuming that it didn't complete the straight draw. You also didn't say it the aggro player was the original raiser or not. That is important here.

I definitely would have raised in this position with top 2 pair, there are only three realistic hands (2-2, 4-4, 10-10) that you don't want to see. His line doesn't look like a set at all. If he was the original raiser he could have 10-10 and turned a set, but he probably would have raised more with 10-10 or Q-Q to protect his hand.

On a metagame level, I hope you used that tight image to steal later on.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:34 PM

Sorry I forgot to mention that. He was not the original raiser. River was a blank. I know betting pattern didn't look like a set. But the guy took three stabs at the pot which was fairly big bets for the table. Maybe I should have pushed the river?
Old 09-09-2005, 06:37 PM

I would have gone to at least $150. A push wouldn't have been bad.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:41 PM

The raise to $150 sounds nice.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:12 PM

1/2 goes in Small Stakes.

I raise the flop. Barring that, I raise the turn. If I forgot to do that as well, I raise the river.

Edit: I don't raise the flop every time. Sometimes I call.