Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 05:05 PM

Default A hand from a live tourny

Two hand ago, I trippled up after going all-in to about 25,000 chips. Blinds are 800/1600 no antes. I am in the BB with J10s, MP player raises to 4,000 he has 4,000 left, everyone folded to me. There is already 6,400 chips in the pot. What is ur move? Call, fold or push?

The second part of the question, let's say you called and the flop comes jack high rainbow, what is your move?
Old 09-09-2005, 05:07 PM

Default Re: A hand from a live tourny

why are you callin pf? its either push or fold because if you call pf then check on flop hes going allin and ur gonna have 2 call because of pot odds.

just fold
Old 09-09-2005, 05:11 PM

well.. JTs isn't really 'good' here.. but if you really want to play it.. i think i'd just call and see the flop... yes he only has 4k left, but that means it's probably going all in no matter what, and since you're probably not best now, why get all of it in now? call and if you improve then get the rest of the money in... so now it's like you're risking 4k to win 10k... instead of 8k to win 10k.

but that's all hypothetical, JTs probably isnt good enough to play now at all.
could be wrong though.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:12 PM

When someone as short as this guy raises less than all-in, I always suspect he is begging for action.

That shouldn't necessarily affect your decisions but it would remove any temptation I had to play this marginal hand. Let's say he opened for 8000, would I call with JT? No way, it's just an ugly hand to call an all-in with. And when he pot-commits himself the odds are no different than a push.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well.. JTs isn't really 'good' here.. but if you really want to play it.. i think i'd just call and see the flop... yes he only has 4k left, but that means it's probably going all in no matter what, and since you're probably not best now, why get all of it in now? call and if you improve then get the rest of the money in... so now it's like you're risking 4k to win 10k... instead of 8k to win 10k.

but that's all hypothetical, JTs probably isnt good enough to play now at all.
could be wrong though.

[/ QUOTE ]because you want to see all 5 cards. what happens if you call and the flop comes A22r? then u check and he goes allin? do u fold?
Old 09-09-2005, 05:15 PM

Fold. You have a drawing hand against a player who already raised half his stack, so your implied odds are zilch. And you almost certainly don't have the best hand.

if you call and the flop comes J high then put him in for the rest of his stack.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:17 PM

I would definetly lay this down. The guy is essentially pot commited by his raise. However, going all-in yourself isn't that bad a move. You might have like 20% fold equity if the guy was a on a pure bluff and doesn't know how to play tournament poker. Also J10s is the ultimate drawing hand.

As far as your second question that's another tough one. I think since he took the lead preflop its best to check (do this quickly after seeing the flop) to him with the intention of reraisng if he doesnt go all in. Like I said before I'm not sure if I would be in this hand in the first place, but I couldn't fault anyone too bad who said u should be.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:19 PM

well let me say again, i wouldnt be playing this hand it was an idea if you did want to thoguh.

But yes in what i was saying, fold on that flop.. your hand wouldn't justify calling with the 5:2 odds there.. i think this way of playing it you lose the least (besides folding pf) ... him raising half his stack (but not all of it) sounds like a big hand anyway...
Old 09-09-2005, 05:19 PM

You would really fold J10s here even though you are paying 2,400 to get 6,400 or maybe 10,400? What range of hands you would call with then?
Old 09-09-2005, 05:21 PM

wow nevermind i didntsee you were in the BB..

i would call here..

2400 to win 10000... and i'd fold to a board that doesnt help me out w/ my suit my strtaights or a pair.