Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 01:47 PM

Default Re: J8o in BB

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see any other line to take but check behind on the turn, call a bet on the river or bet if checked to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Justin and others for that reply. I checked behind on the turn, he bet the river, and I called. He had the bare spade king for the nut flush on the turn. I thought the check on the turn was the right choice. I was curious as to how right. I guess that makes this thread a check check. :-)

Tommy
Old 07-19-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
$40-80 game with all good players playing good.

[/ QUOTE ]

why play at this table?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was practicing recreationalism.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must have a lot smaller nut or lots more money these days [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

~ Rick
Old 07-19-2005, 02:10 PM

I can only see checking the turn as the correct play. I mean a good player isn't going to be calling a turn bet with 2 pair on an all spade turn heads up (in the game you describe). So you lose almost nothing by checking here.

I would also say folding to a river bet is also the correct play. A good player is going to bet his broadway spade flush but since you have the Js you know he's either got the K Q or T and I don't really see him betting a Ts into a player of Tommy's caliber, and xpecting to get called by the 9s or less, but definitely getting called by a broadway spade.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would also say folding to a river bet is also the correct play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on your definition of "correct" and Tommy's definition of "good" ... check the turn, call a river bet, bet the river if checked to. This does seem like the line, Tommy...

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 07-19-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I would also say folding to a river bet is also the correct play. A good player is going to bet his broadway spade flush but since you have the Js you know he's either got the K Q or T and I don't really see him betting a Ts into a player of Tommy's caliber, and xpecting to get called by the 9s or less, but definitely getting called by a broadway spade.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way you can fold to a river bet. When Tommy checks behind on the turn you'll see this guy bet almost any two cards he happens to hold, which includes pure bluffs.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:37 PM

"No way you can fold to a river bet. When Tommy checks behind on the turn you'll see this guy bet almost any two cards he happens to hold, which includes pure bluffs."

Agreed. Anytime I check behind on the turn with a pair in a dinky pot against a toughy, I am pretty much committed to calling the river.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"No way you can fold to a river bet. When Tommy checks behind on the turn you'll see this guy bet almost any two cards he happens to hold, which includes pure bluffs."

good player in a dinky pot check calls an all spade flop. If he has top pair or or better on the flop he'd likely CR here or maybe see the turn to see what develops. Put yourself in the SB shoes would you call here with a naked Q or Ts draw, headsup, no odds, and out of position?

Now of course some specifics are left out as to if this was online, at what site, or live, LV or LA or SF. It all plays different but I know it's definitely not the autocall that everyone makes it out to be.

All that being said if it's like the first orbit or early I'd make this call for meta and other reasons but I'm quite surprised so many feel this is autocall

Agreed. Anytime I check behind on the turn with a pair in a dinky pot against a toughy, I am pretty much committed to calling the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-19-2005, 03:48 PM

ez check behind.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:00 PM

in situations like this i usually check the turn with the intention of putting 1 more bet in the pot.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:31 PM

Default BET THE TURN!

Only a psychopath or a really, really great player like Tommy Angelo would check-raise without the nuts. Instead of trying to induce a bluff on the river, why not bet for value and hope the small blind tries to pick off YOUR "bluff"?

Since we're not worried about a check raise, the only question is can we extract more bets by betting the turn or betting the river, or maybe betting the turn and the river? I say bet the turn.