Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2005, 05:42 AM

Default $40-80 hand at Wynn

Dear Vegas dwellers,

Do you call it "The Wynn" or just "Wynn?"

On to the hand ...

One hour into the game for me. I was in the big blind with KQs. UTG limped. He was the softest spot by far. (I had not had a chance to change seats yet.) (Do you notice how often the open seat is right to the right of the softest spot? I do. Ever since the first time I noticed it was me who the people on my right kept moving away from.)

Somebody raised and somebody called. The small blind folded. I called and UTG called. Four players.

The flop was 5-5-3 with one of my suit. Everybody checked.

The turn paired the three, and gave me a flush draw. Everybody checked. (I’m starting to think that maybe I have developed magical check-inducing powers.)

Among the reasons why I prefer to be last to act compared to first to act is that when I’m first, I have to be deciding in advance lots of times what I am going to do before the next card comes up, or at least try like heck to, for every card in the deck, so as not to be taken by surprise. When I'm last, there is no such urgency.

I decided on this hand that if I hit the flush on the river, I was going to bet, and if I caught a pair, I was going to check, and if I didn’t improve, I was going to check, unless it was a five or a three that came on the river, in which case I was going to bet because I had a pretty good feeling that the guy on my left would call with the full house on board without really even giving it a thought, and that at least one of the other guys who were both plenty sharp would have to come up with a fold, as my proper due for playing so nittily. And UTG being in there meant they would not bluffraise.

The river was a five. I bet. UTG called. The next guy reluctantly folded. The next guy tanked. I knew what he was thinking. The pot was just too small to make the call. He folded and me and UTG split it. (He had J-9).

Tommy
Old 07-09-2005, 06:28 AM

Default Re: $40-80 hand at Wynn

Nice. Not really much else to say about that one.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And UTG being in there meant they would not bluffraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. UTG being in there wouldn't stop me from bluffraising unless I was inordinately shy about what I showed down that day.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:35 PM

I'm surprised that your river plan didn't include the fact that you would have to show first if you bet the river.

I heard the article preface Mr. Wynn's namesake the weekend I was there.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:03 PM

Default I wouldnt have folded to that obvious river bluff . . . .

If I needed that $80.00 to catch a cab to the Mustang Ranch for a free 3 hour session with Teri Weigel.

TSP
Old 07-10-2005, 12:36 AM

Why wouldn't you bet the turn?
Old 07-10-2005, 01:25 AM

Default a trick when you have to go first?

what do you think of this trick ive seen a prop who is a nice guy do:

when the pot is multiway and he's first to act he purposefully noticeably turns his head to the right so he cant see the flop and says check. this way he is now last to act on that street, and anyone who has watched him can clearly see that he has not seen the flop when he checks.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:46 AM

Default Re: a trick when you have to go first?

I don't get what advantage is gained by acting seeing only two cards when all your opponents get to see five. Sometimes first one in with a bet can win the pot, no?
Old 07-10-2005, 05:59 AM

Too bad Clarkmeister wasn't there to knock out the overcaller with a bluff raise on the river.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:47 AM

Default Re: a trick when you have to go first?

Does he always do this in every street? This can lead to quite a few disasterous check-throughs no?