Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 12-20-2005, 02:23 AM

Default Looking for some intermediate advice

I'm going to try and make this short and to the point, but I have the feeling it might get drawn out. I played my first hands of seven card stud when I was in junior high, and in the past 7-8 months have picked it up again, finding that it was more lucrative and a little less swingy than holdem. I play at one of the smaller sites, pokerroom. The reason I play there, is since it is one of the samller sites, I feel the level of play is much lower than it would be at PPs or Full Tilt etc. I play in the largest game going there, which is small compared to other sites. Its usually 4-8 and 6-12, going up to 10-20 at the most. I have kept tight notes on players, which has paid off. Ive read Chip Reese's chapter on 7 card in Super System, as well as the chapter in Hellmuth's book on 7 card. With that in mind, let me try and get to the point. Last week I was on a roll, I was getting decent hands, they were holding up, and the calling stations were paying off. It turned into 7 straight days of decent profit. In the past 4 days, I have just gotten hosed. Let me recap a few of the hands. I've only had rolled trips twice, both times losing to straights using my case card. My aces up and kings up on 4th losing to underpairs turning trips on 7th. Catching my flush on 7th only to lose to boat, very next hand, boat losing to a bigger buried boat. And the one that got me writing this article, and one that happens a lot: 3 handed, 4-8. I start split Kings, Ace calls, bring in shows deuce. On 4th Ace raises, I reraise cause the Ace has been raising almost every hand and I'm confident he doesnt have it. Bring in calls double bet ace folds thankfully. I bet my split Kings all the way to 7th and check on 7th when they dont improve. Villain flips over 8s and 2s, caught 8 on 6th. I know this guy is a calling station, known this for a while, and its usually worked out. But the past week has been a nightmare. Seems like every over pair never pairs up and my draws never develop. So my ultimate question is: How do I combat this? I've heard rumors that pokerroom has the worst suckouts out of every poker site, but I'm sure thats what everyone says about their site when they are running bad. I'm just looking for some advice as what to do long run? Its starting to get annoying that I feel like I'm better than anyone I am playing with, yet I cant avoid the bad beats. Its to the point that even when I have a great starting hand, I'm not sure if I want anyone to call. Any help would be great, everything I've read here so far has been extremely helpful.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:16 AM

Default Re: Looking for some intermediate advice

On-line poker is rigged.

Read 7CS4AP.

Try using paragraphs.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:33 AM

There is no answer.Welcome to the wonderful world of poker. Good luck to you. Ben.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:06 AM

Welcome to Hell. Be prepared for this to last up to 3 months straight. If you can't take the pain for that long, join the club.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On-line poker is rigged.

Read 7CS4AP.

Try using paragraphs.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
There is no answer.Welcome to the wonderful world of poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Welcome to Hell. Be prepared for this to last up to 6 months straight. If you can't take the pain for that long, join the club.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-20-2005, 05:51 AM

You just gotta move up limits where your raises will get respect. Be sure to cash the 500/1000 game with some fella called Phil Ivey, he won't suckout on ya.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But the past week has been a nightmare

[/ QUOTE ]
A week is a minor blip in the radar in this game. As others have said, be prepared for stretches of months where nothing seems to go right. Yes you will lose lots of money to "inferior" players who are doing downright stupid things. Thats what keeps them coming back. Running bad is like a big filter that separates poker tourists from the long term winning players.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:23 AM

Heh LOL ... my experience exactly .... a great run lasting one day, now weeks of losing it again

I hate the variance bit of poker, but if it wasn't there, we might as well play chess, and when the best wins everytime, nobody wants to play, so ...

The interesting question is, Stud or Hold'em ??

Why play stud at all ... especially since it's harder to multitable stud ?? (and is multitabling overrated by the way)
Old 12-20-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to try and make this short

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd hate for you to get long winded. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

...and a little less swingy than holdem.

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

It turned into 7 straight days of decent profit. In the past 4 days, I have just gotten hosed.

[/ QUOTE ]
Variance happens...welcome to Stud.

Seriously, I notice this happens more often when I'm not as mentally sharp as other days--tired from work and such. Doc AZ had a post about this a couple of years ago about testing you mental capacity, the types of foods you should eat to improve this, etc.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just looking for some advice as what to do long run?

[/ QUOTE ]
You've found the right place; stick around, read and study the game. Play the game because you love it, not because you believe it to have less variance than other games. You will find that the major posters here love this game.

[ QUOTE ]
It’s starting to get annoying that I feel like I'm better than anyone I am playing with

[/ QUOTE ]

All of us think that from time to time, then reality bites us in the butt--deal with it but challenge yourself to constantly improve.

Have you read any of the posted hands on this forum? Not even the best players on this site agree with one another on the best method to play a particular hand, so how can you believe you know better than the players you play? Sometimes, there is no right or wrong, only better and best.

[ QUOTE ]
It’s to the point that even when I have a great starting hand, I'm not sure if I want anyone to call. Any help would be great; everything I've read here so far has been extremely helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]

We all have been there. Optimal play wins in the long run, but bad beats happen. Yes it's frustrating when it happens repeatedly, but part of the game is to accept them and wait for pay back time.

In a loose game as you have described, big pairs lose strength because you MUST get in a heads up situation with pairs. If you will have 4 callers despite all attempts to raise, reraise and check-raise, you sometimes have to learn to let the big pairs go and wait for a better opportunity.

dandy
Old 12-20-2005, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate the variance bit of poker, but if it wasn't there, we might as well play chess

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a certain degree of luck in chess. Like getting paired with an opponent who got roaring drunk the night before. Sometimes certain players match up better against others, and sometimes you just happen to make the right moves by accident (this happens to me ALOT and I'm quite strong)... Anyways I don't know what the point of this post is, I guess it's "Variance sucks and then you die".