Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance

Old 12-20-2005, 03:29 AM

Default Re: My losing streak wins!!

I'd like to see a graph too, actually. Not just the downswing though... the whole shazam to put things into perspective.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:34 AM

Well...I felt like trying it again...playing super-tight at the BBJ 2/4 and 3/6 tables to finish clearing my $100 reload bonus (which somehow hasn't expired yet) because $100 is actually kind of worthwhile to me right now.

Well...so far I'm down $134 with about 100 hands left to get the bonus.

When bonus is cleared I'll be through for the evening and possibly for a day or two. Haven't fully decided yet.
If I feel like staying up then I might surf around here some, clean up around my apartment, or curl up with something like GSIH or WLLHE both of which I plan to just read cover to cover in the coming days.

Went out to dinner tonight with the GF and she's really terrific. So we chatted some about it and what my plan was...then we moved on to other topics.

I tried to put into context for her how ridiculous 1k+ BB's is and that this basically NEVER happenes for a winning player.
She could tell that it was getting to me a bit and that I was somewhat frustrated and that 'the frustration is probably effecting your play' at which point I explained that that will typically happen to good players if they lose just 200 or 300 bets which is considered really bad.
"And how many have you lost again?"
"Ummm, that would be over 1000."
"Oh...... Wow."

But there's no reason why I can't grind my way back at my current limits. She was concerned with what happens if I keep losing of course and I stated, "well..at some point I would have to get a job."

Anyway...I have 2 months living expenses on the side...and above that I have a poker bankroll that is still over 1k BB's for 3/6. And I'm actually possibly going to play more 2/4 or even 1/2 for awhile.
So if I can go that far out of my way to drop ANOTHER 1k BB's then that would TRULY be something special.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:34 AM

Holy crap, we need to trade accounts. Mines on a hot streak.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:54 AM

BTW - when I talk about 'super-tight at the full-ring tables...i'm talking 15/8 fit-or-fold style poker while these guys are really donking around.

Here are my 2 favorite hands for the evening that kind of highlight some of my experience.

I know they're just your run-of-the-mill silly beats...but what the hell...I'm down 1k BB's and you're not so I'm posting them.

Both are against the same player who is 80/7/1.6.

Hand 1:
Party 3/6, 8-handed:

Hero is CO with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero raises, button folds, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop (3 players): J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

MP1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero bets, MP1 folds, MP2 calls

Turn: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

MP2 checks, Hero bets, MP2 calls

River: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

MP2 bets, Hero raises, MP2 calls

MP2 shows 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Golly.

Hand 2: (1 orbit later, same guy):

hero has 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in BB

4 limpers.
I check.

Flop: (5 players): K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Checked around

Turn: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero bets, 3 folds, Button calls

River: J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero bets, button raises, hero calls

Button shows T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Since these hands I have made a modest comeback. I am down $90 for the evening with 50 hands to go to receive my $100 bonus.

Will I actually finish in positive territory for this session (after receiving the bonus of course)???

Stay tuned.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:06 AM

I just wanted to wish you good luck in the future Bob. I am sure you don't know me/aren't aware of my posts but i have always been a fan of yours.

it takes a lot of guts to make a post like this. it shows humility which i think is very important to a player.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:38 AM

well...it wasn't to be.

-$149 in the hands it took to clear the bonus.

So -$49 overall for this session.

Close enough to even that I'll consider it a victory.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. The support and advice is actually quite helpful.

I need some opinions on another important issue though....

At the chinese restaurant tonight my fortune-cookie read, "You will have good luck in your personal affairs."

I need to know if poker counts as a 'personal affair'.

GF says it definitely does but I'm not convinced.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At the chinese restaurant tonight my fortune-cookie read, "You will have good luck in your personal affairs."

[/ QUOTE ]

How many cookies did you have to open before you got that one?
Anyway, you have got good luck in your personal affairs. Your girlfriend sounds awesome.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:31 AM

Ditto, get your swagger back dude. You are better than that. Anything happening away from the tables that is effecting you?
Old 12-20-2005, 07:08 AM

Bob,

I'm really surprised to see this happen to you.

I think others have covered the main points, so I don't really have any advice as far as your actual play goes.

However, I'm confident that you're on the path to success as you are willing to step down, reevaluate, and admit your shortcommings. Being overly proud can be especially bad for a poker player. After doing quite a bit of sweating of the Party 2/4 BBJ games, I'm quite sure you must have a positive expectation here. Just grind it out, and unless you're tilting, you'll be fine.

Since you have two months of living expenses saved, have you considered taking several weeks to a month off? I don't know if you are experiencing burnout (possibly leading to tilt), but taking time off really helped me during previous poker funks.

From my own recent experience of stepping down, I've enjoyed it so far, and have started to rebuild some confidence after an aweful swing (addmittedly, not nearly as bad as yours.) I would be surprised if you don't say the same thing in a month or two.

-Craig
Old 12-20-2005, 07:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just FYI--

If I were to sit at a table and see a 23/17/2.5, I would not be particularly worried. The people that really scare me are the 27/20/2.0 people.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is silly. There really isn't that much difference.

For example, at one table I can play 27/20, while at the other table I can play 23/17. Just based on differences in game texture, relative position, etc.