Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-15-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Bizarre 6 max hand

How would you play this?

Limits 1/2.

Just sat down, no reads as yet except button seems LAG.

I pick up 99 in the sb. Three guys limp, i complete, bb checks.

Flop J57 rainbow. All check to button who bets, I check raise expecting to isolate. Only problem is everyone calls!

Next card is an 8. I check (?), utg bets, 2 callers, i hem and haw and call.

Next card is a 4 completing rainbow. I check, utg checks, utg+1 comes out of nowhere and bets, button calls, i fold, utg folds. utg+1 had a pair of 7's for the winner.

Comments? do you overcall this?
Old 12-15-2005, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Bizarre 6 max hand

bizarre players are our friends. good fold, imo
Old 12-15-2005, 02:21 PM

I'd bet that turn every time. Tough to speculate after that, but if no one raises the turn, I'd bet the river more often than I'd check the river.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:23 PM

I personally would have raised preflop and then bet out on the flop and turn. I think the turn check here lost you the hand. You may have the best hand. Bet it.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:25 PM

I'd raise preflop, but completing is OK.

After they all coldcall your flop CR (which was good), I would be prepared to check-fold the turn unless I improved.

Since I improved to double gutshot I would call the turn.

Calling the river getting 14:1 is probably OK. If it's a mistake then it's not a big one.

WARNING: Don't post results. They will skew the advice.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:36 PM

grunch
PF 5sb|flop 15sb|turn 11.5BB|river 13.5BB to you

I think you should have bet the turn since you raised the flop - if your hand was good then it is likely still good now (except against a T9 - or a donk played Jx). Since you didn't and you called you have to call down unless you know you're not good 1 in 13 times (~7%).

you checked turn so UTG made a play for the pot - no one believes a PP here and they all have overs

UTG+1 figures his 7's are shakey - you raised so he thinks you may have something on the flop but he will call down,

then you check turn so he figures you're on a bluff but UTG bets so he thinks UTG hit 8's

then river goes check check and he figures he may be good, bets the "I have a 6 for the donk str8" and gets better hand(s) to fold.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:52 PM

I think that I bet the flop on this one but a c/r isn't bad if you think button is aggressive. I think the rest is standard. On the turn you didn't isolate so you don't have much of a chance to win right there but you pick up the inside strt draw and you have good relative position to the better. On the river I think it was a good fold. With that many people I think there's too good of a chance that you're beat to make calling good here enough.

Edit, I missed the double gutshot. I think that you could probably bet the turn with that hand.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:54 PM

raise preflop, flop check-raise is lovely, bet the turn b/c of all the sweet outs that you just picked up. i dunno about the river - against decent opponents its a good fold, but the party 1/2 will consistantly surprise you.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:25 PM

Raise preflop. You probably have an edge, at worst you'd probably be about break even against 4 opponents, but I doubt it. Its amazing the number of undercards people are holding here. Also, there is a chance you can knock the BB over so do it.

Go ahead and bet out on the turn. There is a very good chance that you are ahead and you don't want to give up momentum and getting checkraised gives you more info for the river than inviting somebody to bet by checking. If you get raised, then call with you pair and gutshot.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:40 PM

Preflop: Hand is a perfect example why you should raise good hands even OOP (I am trying to correct this leak as well). Hand plays completely different with PFR.

Flop: Bet/call if PFR. As you played it the ckrasie was great.

Turn: Did the turn card make your hand worse? No - it actually added a few outs(4 sixes, 1 nine). So why stop betting. We should bet/call. As played, with 5 outs and possibly the best hand, I think this is an easy call.

River: The river is tough as now any 6 or J beats you so I agree with the check. However, getting 14:1 think we should overcall. I'd like it a lot better if we were last to act. It is never wrong to call for 1BB in a large pot and is actually a big mistake not to do so. Please don't post results. Stop the action when it comes back to you on the river. All of our responses are tainted.