Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance

Old 12-12-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Terrible Session

I recently had the most god-awful 4-tabling session. I'm a part-time player and have around 30k hands to my name since July when I started my most recent PokerTracker DB. I ended up playing around 750 or so hands during this session and ended up down 80 BB. Is this way too much to lose during one 4 tabling session or is this relatively common. I've certainly never had a 80 BB heater so should I ever expect one or is 80BB strange to win or lose during such a session (it was a little over 2 hours).

I've been a consistant 3bb/hour winner over my first 30k hands and wasn't playing this session any differently. I got AA four or five times and lost all of them. Same with KK. I was able to hit 2 sets with QQ and was making money off of that. I was able to lose 25BB alone between AK and AKs.

I guess I'm interested in knowing 2 things. As I mentioned before, how common this was and also what type of W$SD stats have you had during a session like this? My VPIP and PFR were right around normal as was WSD. W$SD was god-awful at around 30%.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Terrible Session

Hey, I had a terrible weekend myself.

Just look at all the graphs/threads from these guys and see how they lose 300BB but are still winning players. You can't let it get to you, even the best players lose.

I just tell myself if players better than me lose sometimes, I'm definatly gonna lose sometimes.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I ended up playing around 750 or so hands during this session and ended up down 80 BB. Is this way too much to lose during one 4 tabling session

[/ QUOTE ]

It might be bad to play through such a bad swing if you're prone to tilt. It certainly doesn't indicate that you necessarily played bad though.

[ QUOTE ]
I've certainly never had a 80 BB heater so should I ever expect one

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes
Old 12-12-2005, 01:33 PM

You're bitching about one little lousy 80BB downswing?

Someone get a mod in here! The only bitching we allow in here is for 10BB downswings or 150BB+ downswings. Duh.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:53 PM

I had a 73 BB upswing and a 63 BB downswing yesterday before ending the day 32 BB ahead after about 1200 hands. The swings were a bit bigger than I see in a typical day, but nothing to worry about, IMO. I made a couple of dumb mistakes that cost me a bit. I haven't reviewed the session yet, but I will this afternoon. Just go back over you session, review the hands where you won or lost any significant amount, and see if you made any mistakes. 80 BB is nothing to worry about. It sounds like you just took a lot of beats in a relatively short time. Nothing you can do about that.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I recently had the most god-awful 4-tabling session. I'm a part-time player and have around 30k hands to my name since July when I started my most recent PokerTracker DB. I ended up playing around 750 or so hands during this session and ended up down 80 BB. Is this way too much to lose during one 4 tabling session or is this relatively common. I've certainly never had a 80 BB heater so should I ever expect one or is 80BB strange to win or lose during such a session (it was a little over 2 hours).

I've been a consistant 3bb/hour winner over my first 30k hands and wasn't playing this session any differently. I got AA four or five times and lost all of them. Same with KK. I was able to hit 2 sets with QQ and was making money off of that. I was able to lose 25BB alone between AK and AKs.

I guess I'm interested in knowing 2 things. As I mentioned before, how common this was and also what type of W$SD stats have you had during a session like this? My VPIP and PFR were right around normal as was WSD. W$SD was god-awful at around 30%.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not over one session but over the last two days. Just to show you how things might go occasionally.